none
Power Query Dropbox Data Host/Source RRS feed

• Question

• Hi to All,

Is there any way I can use the excel file stored in my Dropbox folder as a data source for my power query? How can this be done? I saw some discussion online about it but does not provide a step-by-step process how it can be done.

Any help or assistance in this matter is highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mielkew

• Edited by Mielkew Sunday, April 9, 2017 5:15 AM
    Sunday, April 9, 2017 5:13 AM

Answers

• It is possible but it is a bit complicated.

I had the same issue few months ago. I no longer have DB account, so I cannot do it step by step.

1. So first you need to be DB admin.
    2. You need to allow API access - not sure if it was for the whole DB account or "just" for the file. At some point, you will probably get an access token (see url below). Once you have access token, you can build the URL. 
    3. Once API access is allowed, you are able to form the unique "download" URL for the file you want to link via "From Web" to PQ.

The "DB API FILE DOWNLOAD" URL Looks something like this:

https://api-content.dropbox.com/1/files/auto/FOLDER//FOLDER%20NAME////FILENAME.xlsx?access_token=RANDOMNUMBERSANDLETTERS

I took me 30 minutes to figure out, it is not that difficult, just a few little steps and little bit of Googling.

I was pulling roughly 100 MB file from DB on every refresh without any issues. 

DZ

Monday, April 10, 2017 6:28 PM