none
Last file save directory RRS feed

• Question

• where in the registry does Window 8 store the Last Directory a file was saved at?

After saving a file, if you attempt to save another, the last directory used becomes the default. In an attempt to figure it out, I saved a file to a familiar location, then I did a search of the registry for that name and got no hit. Does anyone here know?

Thanks

50% of programming is coding. The other 90% is debugging

Tuesday, June 17, 2014 9:26 AM

All replies

• OpenSaveMRU does not exist. To be sure, I saved a file to a known directory, did a search of the registry under the Explorer limb and came up empty. I am using Windows 8, not Vista.

50% of programming is coding. The other 90% is debugging

Monday, June 23, 2014 5:43 AM
  •  In an attempt to figure it out, I saved a file to a familiar location, then I did a search of the registry for that name and got no hit.

Did you close IE and make sure that there were no other instances of it running?  Otherwise, it may only be saving such information to be written to registry later (assuming it is writing to registry which I do not imagine as a given).  FWIW I would run ProcMon and try to find out what it is doing for sure.  Note though that if there is the hypothesized "write later" optimization it will be difficult to find out which write is doing the save that you are interested in.  Also, I have noticed that W8 seems to be doing a lot more of such optimization, including implementing more stuff with .NET libraries which makes conventional diagnosis such as using ProcMon traces harder than usual.  In any case, a ProcMon filter to try for analyzing your test scenario would be Category Is Write.  E.g. that would show you both Registry and File events which were Writes.  Note that depending on the length of the data being written you might not be able to find what you are looking for using only the trace.  E.g. you might have to examine the objects being written to to see if your data is in them.

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, June 23, 2014 3:43 PM