Vista settings help RRS feed

• Question

• Need some help.  I have employed steadystate on laptops with both xp and vista.  It took some time and some playing but i was able to get the xp laptops to desired state.  I am having trouble getting vista to follow suit.  I will give you brief picture of how my xp laptops are set. 

When power is turned on the laptop will load right into the desired steadystate created user.  the only thing they can do is open IE, view programs which is empty/useless, open my computer which is empty/useless as well, and open the control panel (which i have enabled for internet connection fixes and disabled the majority of the control panel icons with .cpl in dontload folder in registry).  If they log off, i have removed the admin user from that screen with a simple .bat file i made (type "welcome /disable USERNAME" in notepad and save as a .bat and run, replace disable with enable to put it back.  Ctrl Alt del will only display the steadystate user so you have to know the admin name and password to access it.  This is for xp and works more than well enough for our needs. 

Need some help with Vista though.  The .bat runs and says the user has been removed from welcome screen but it is still there when you restart computer.  I would love for that Other User icon to be removed and i would love if when you power laptop on it loads directly into the steadystate created user.  Any ideas on how to accomplish this would be greatly appreciated.  Also entering all the .cpl in dontload folder in registry doesnt seem to do anything for the control panel.  Any ideas on how i can enable the control panel, but have everything but Network and Sharing Center disabled.  Pretty much i would like the Vista laptops to have the same settings/abilitys enabled as the xp ones.  Thanks in advance

Friday, September 5, 2008 5:25 PM

Answers

•  

Hi wopperton, it seems that other user cannot be removed from Windows Vista Welcome Screen, however, we can set auto logon by using the following steps:

1.       Click Start, type control userpasswords2 in Run or Start Search and press enter.

2.       Under Users tab, select the desired user that needs to log in automatically and uncheck the box "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer."

3.       Press OK.

Monday, September 8, 2008 6:59 AM