none
Running GPUPDATE remotely..Windows 7. Which user preferences are pulled?

Question

• I have a question about running GPUPDATE remotely.  My environment is recently upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 7( embedded).  I have a Windows Server 2008 R2 functional level domain (with 2008 R2 servers).

I have a series of group policies that configure our POS devices in the field (the embedded systems) - everything from file permissions, desktop shortcuts, scheduled tasks, etc..

When we were on XP - if I made any changes to any of these group policies, I could use powershell to invoke-command gpupdate (running as me - an admin user), and new tasks or shortucts would appear.  I am not noticing the same behavior with Windows 7.

I can still invoke a gpupdate remotely using powershell - but it doesn't appear as if user policies are refreshed?  So I am wondering if this is because it is "me" running it and not the logged on user?  Or if the GPUPDATE /force will update any computer policies and user policies for any logged on user?  

Thanks in advance.

sb

Monday, January 26, 2015 8:42 PM

Answers

• Hi,

>>But what will happen when the user that I am trying to refresh for is already logged in on that machine? Is there a way to force refresh the policy in the background remotely?

We don't need to do this, for group policy will refresh at background by default with an interval of 90 minutes. If we need to forcefully update group policy , we can try to configure a schedule task to run command gpupdate/force at specific interval.

If something goes wrong with group policy, we can try to run command gpresult/h gpreport.html to collect group policy result for troubleshooting.

Best regards,

Frank Shen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 04, 2015 2:33 AM

All replies

• Exactly !! user policy will get refreshed when desired user logs on to the workstation. 

Regards, Prabhu

Tuesday, January 27, 2015 12:56 PM
  • Correct. But what will happen when the user that I am trying to refresh for is already logged in on that machine? Is there a way to force refresh the policy in the background remotely?
    Tuesday, January 27, 2015 1:08 PM
  • Yes, sure..logon to a domain controller and type repadmin /syncall at the command prompt to force the replication to entire domain

Regards, Prabhu

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 4:55 AM
  • Hi,

>>But what will happen when the user that I am trying to refresh for is already logged in on that machine? Is there a way to force refresh the policy in the background remotely?

We don't need to do this, for group policy will refresh at background by default with an interval of 90 minutes. If we need to forcefully update group policy , we can try to configure a schedule task to run command gpupdate/force at specific interval.

If something goes wrong with group policy, we can try to run command gpresult/h gpreport.html to collect group policy result for troubleshooting.

Best regards,

Frank Shen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 04, 2015 2:33 AM