Track delayed delivery messages in Exchange RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

Just wondering if there is any way to track "delayed messages" sent in Outlook via Exchange? As an example, if I schedule a message to be sent at 5pm and I have compose the email at 3pm. When 5pm comes along Exchange will send the email for me. I would like to find out if there is any way to see when the user submit the email with the delayed delivery option enabled. 

Thanks

Thursday, June 16, 2011 9:57 PM

All replies

• 1. Not sure if you can see from the exch server as the messages are locally on the client sitting in the Outbox.  You would have to check the client.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918824

Sukh
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 10:05 PM
  • 1. Not sure if you can see from the exch server as the messages are locally on the client sitting in the Outbox.  You would have to check the client.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918824

Sukh

Thanks Sukh,

But I would like to find out when the message was submitted because when it is in the outbox it should be in the user mailbox store ready to be sent at the schedule time. So that is why I ask if there is any way to find out when it is submitted.

Company policy prevent anyone other than the user to access their mailbox without approval.

Thursday, June 16, 2011 10:21 PM
  • although the message has been submitted it hasn't been picked up by the server, so it would show it in MT.

What you can try is

get-mailboxfolderstatistics - identity domain\useralias |fl

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124612(EXCHG.80).aspx

You may have to wait for exch to realise their is messages pending in the outbox, wont be instant.

I'm assuming youre using exch 2007/2010

You can also try pfdavadmin if using exch 2003.

Sukh
    • Proposed as answer by Richard Weigold Wednesday, September 28, 2011 1:58 PM
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 11:09 PM
  • Hi,

Why not use message tracking log?

General speaking, you could regard the “TimeStamp”  as the submission time.

More information:

Exchange Server 2007: Message Tracking from the command line

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, June 20, 2011 7:25 AM
  • Hi,

Why not use message tracking log?

General speaking, you could regard the “TimeStamp”  as the submission time.

More information:

Exchange Server 2007: Message Tracking from the command line

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Hmm....I thought TimeStamp is only when it submit to the server? It is would not be what I am looking for as the "delayed delivery" does not submit to the server until the assigned time.
    • Edited by Michael Vi Monday, June 20, 2011 11:55 PM mod answer
    Monday, June 20, 2011 11:53 PM
  • Sorry for the misunderstand.

So you want to track when the user composed the email?

In other word, you want to track when the email goes into Outbox.

The message waiting for submit is in the Pre-categorization queue.

You could try to enable categorizer logging.

More information:

Troubleshooting messages stuck in 'Messages awaiting directory lookup' queue

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 8:18 AM