giving access RRS feed

• Question

• hello,

so ... i have a webserver running a .NET app and have another machine that hosts a SSAS cube, can anybody direct me to articles how to give the webserver the necessary privileges to be able to execute MDX queries on the SSAS server and get the results back?

right now i have a could of confusion  over my head that  is getting bigger by day!

so far..
    1. i learned that SSAS only works with windows accounts
    2. I creates a 'reader' role in my cube solution, and added Anonymous as a memeber, didn help
    3. i have turned off the firewall, didn help
    4. i have installed the latest SP(s), didn help

the error i am getting is 'adomdclient ->   An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host'

i appreciate your thoughts
    cheers
    Leo
    Friday, February 20, 2009 10:04 PM

Answers

All replies

• You need to add IUSR_MachineName as a member of your role because every connection to SSAS is opened in the credential of IUSR_MachineName. Check out http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc917711.aspx

HTH,
    Chu
    -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Saturday, February 21, 2009 4:20 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks Chu,

so does this mean any remote access to SSAS MUST go tro IIS?

i was wondering if i can just directly connct to SSAS?

thanks again.
    Monday, February 23, 2009 6:54 PM
  • Leo,

No, remote access to SSAS goes through IIS only if it is via HTTP.
    Monday, February 23, 2009 6:57 PM
    Answerer
  • so it is possible for a .NET app on another machine to directly talk to SSAS on a differnt machine, i assume.

I added the IUSR to the 'readers' role, still get the same error  'adomdclient ->   An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host'.

the strange think is that the SSMS on the .NET app machine has no problem connecting, perhpas its because when i login it uses my credentials.
    Monday, February 23, 2009 7:12 PM
  • Did you follow the paper I mentioned earlier (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc917711.aspx)?
    Monday, February 23, 2009 11:50 PM
    Answerer
  • thanks for the paper, i read it which as you mentioned is via HTTP, perhaps i should try the IIS way. but originally i was/am interested to connect directly to SSAS (without IIS).
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 2:47 AM