Win7 Sidebar Problem RRS feed

• Question

• One of the last set of patches seems to have done someting with the sidebar gadgets that I am unable to resolve.  When I add a gadget from the gadget window, the drag icon representing the gadget won't go away when I drop it on the screen.  I drag whatever gadget to a place on the screen to drop it.  It leaves the drag icon on top of all other windows and the real gadget appears in the upper right hand corner like the old dock bar in vista used to do.  It leaves the icon of the last gadget I drag onto the desktop.  The only way currently to get rid of this "always on top" icon/window is to close all the gadgets and the gadget pallete window or kill the process itself.  Spy++ shows that the drag icon is a basic window tied to the sidebar.exe process so it appears, for whatever reason, the app is not sending a wm_destroy or wm_close message to the window on the mouse-up event.  Also, the application is not honoring the drag location for the real gadget.

Anybody else seen this one?  I can't use my gadgets anymore.  Not that its a show stopping item, but things like this that I'm unable to figure out bug the heck out of me.

Any insight would be appreciated

Windows 7 RTM x64 Ultimate
    Core Duo
    4Gig RAM
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 1:35 AM

Answers

• If you just installed the patches recently, you can try system restore to restore your machine before this issue occured.
    If you have other account, you can test in another account as a test.

In addition, you can try the following steps to reset the Sidebar. The following steps will remove all downloaded gadgets.

Show Hidden File
    -------------------
    1. Click Start and click Control Panel.
    2. Choose Folder Options.
    3. Click View tab, choose Show hidden files and folders and uncheck Hide Protected Operating System Files and Folders box, click Apply and click OK.
    Delete Sidebar file
    ---------------------
    1. Click Start -> Computer
    2. Go to C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Sidebar (where <user name> is your current user account name).
    3. Open Settings.ini, press CTRL+A (select all) and press delete. The file is now empty. Save the file.
    4. Browse into the Gadgets directory.
    5. Select CTRL+A (select all) and delete them.

After that, please test your issue again.

Good luck!

John
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Friday, January 29, 2010 8:08 AM
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 7:12 AM

All replies

• If you just installed the patches recently, you can try system restore to restore your machine before this issue occured.
    If you have other account, you can test in another account as a test.

In addition, you can try the following steps to reset the Sidebar. The following steps will remove all downloaded gadgets.

Show Hidden File
    -------------------
    1. Click Start and click Control Panel.
    2. Choose Folder Options.
    3. Click View tab, choose Show hidden files and folders and uncheck Hide Protected Operating System Files and Folders box, click Apply and click OK.
    Delete Sidebar file
    ---------------------
    1. Click Start -> Computer
    2. Go to C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Sidebar (where <user name> is your current user account name).
    3. Open Settings.ini, press CTRL+A (select all) and press delete. The file is now empty. Save the file.
    4. Browse into the Gadgets directory.
    5. Select CTRL+A (select all) and delete them.

After that, please test your issue again.

Good luck!

John
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Friday, January 29, 2010 8:08 AM
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 7:12 AM
  • Flushing the settings.ini file fixed it.  Thanks.  Wasn't sure where it was stashed, I had kinda figured it to be in the registry.  Thanks for the fix!
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 1:42 PM
  • You are welcome. Glad to hear you issue is resolved.
    John
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 2:24 AM
  • try this:

go to %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar and rename Shared Gadgets to Shared Gadgets.old and restart Windows or Log Off - Log On again

if problem not solved you can end sidebar process in Task Manager and restart windows...

Mert
    Windows 7 Ultimate x86   2,5 GB RAM   Intel T2300E 1.66 GHz Processor   Intel 945 Express Chipset Family WDDM 1.0 -Dream Scene + Aero Enabled-  
    [LENOVO 3000 N100 (2006)]

Monday, February 1, 2010 8:46 PM
  • Thanks, resetting the settings.ini fixed my problem.  After win 7 sp1 install, gadget program was crashing as soon i tried to open it.

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 11:40 PM