none
Error renaming a server

Question

• I am trying to re-name a server from DO-DC3 to DO-DC2 from "Computer Name/Domain Changes", I get the follwong error:

The following error occurred attempting to rename the computer to "DO-DC2", The account already exists

• I searched the ADU&C for that computer name, but it returns nothing
    • I tried NTDSUTIL to find that old object with no results
    • I tried ADSI Edit, but I am not sure if there is a search function to find lingering objects

Thanks for any suggestions. NICK

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 8:46 PM

All replies

• How are you renaming? I'd suggest using netdom

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc816601(v=ws.10).aspx

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 9:17 PM
  • This what I get:

From the CMD "Run as Administrator"

C:\>netdom renamecomputer DO-DC3 /NewName:DO-DC2
    The attempt to open the service control manager on DO-DC3
    failed with error 5. Unable to determine if the Certificate Authority
    service is installed.

Access is denied.

The command failed to complete successfully.

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 9:56 PM
  • What other roles are installed?

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 10:05 PM
  • Using the following command I am able to export all the computers and locate the Server in the export file. See below:

LDIFDE -f DO_oc=Computer.txt -d "DC=Muxxxx,DC=k12,DC=ca,DC=us" -r (ObjectClass=Computer)

servicePrincipalName: ldap/DO-DC2
    servicePrincipalName: WSMAN/DO-DC2
    servicePrincipalName: TERMSRV/DO-DC2
    servicePrincipalName: HOST/DO-DC2

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 10:14 PM
  • No roles on DO-DC2. this was a force demoted server 2 years ago. it does not even exist

• Edited by Nicki.Boy Tuesday, February 28, 2017 10:32 PM
    Tuesday, February 28, 2017 10:18 PM
  • No roles on DO-DC2. this was a force demoted server 2 years ago.

I meant the one you're renaming. If there are other roles then that could impact a rename operation.

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 10:23 PM
  • No roles on DO-DC3. it was force demoted after the site found out the clock was off by 30 days, and could no longer sync. It was then dis-joined and re-joined to the domain.

The only thing is: the name DO-DC2 exists the AD as per the LDIFDE export noted above, although not visible in the ADU&C. 

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 11:07 PM
  • You may have some lingering cleanup to do for old server.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc816907%28v=ws.10%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/889250/how-to-decommission-a-windows-enterprise-certification-authority-and-remove-all-related-objects

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 11:10 PM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved? If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.

If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions. If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, March 6, 2017 8:25 AM
  • Hello
    Try running the command line on the domain controllers and run the command:

setspn -L "your_domain_controler_name"

Do this for every domain controller you own. Check if there are no entries in the responses to the server name that you no longer have. If the setspn -L command shows some entry for a server that you do not already have, delete this entry with the setspn -D command "entry name" "domain_controller_name". Wait for the data to be replicated between the controllers. Try to change the server name.

Saturday, February 24, 2018 7:14 PM