none
DPM sync and recovery point RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

i did a test which i feel the senario are weird. Not sure if this is the normal expectation from DPM 2010.

i have a DPM server and is protecting a windows XP domain client. i select a folder contains a word document to be backup.

On the XP, i manually starts the sync for 5 times, at 1pm, 2pm, 3pm, 4pm and 5pm. The recovery point policy starts at 6pm.  

Before i start the manual sync, i made changes to the word document. In another word, i have made 5 different changes/versions on the word document.

After the 6pm recovery point completes. I open the agent console on the XP client. Under the recovery, it shows the 6pm recovery point and when i select the folder to restore. The word document contains the '5pm' copy. i don't get to see '1pm, 2pm, 3pm and 4pm' data.

Is this the correct behaviour? it seems like the recovery point only shows the last sync data. It will not shown the different versions of data based on the no. of times the sync has occurred.

regards,

Steve

Friday, April 1, 2011 7:28 AM

Answers

• Yes, This is expected behaviour.

If you want to have different versions, facility to restore all 1pm, ... 4pm, you need to run syncronization with Recovery point.
    i.e., "Create Recovery Point" -> "Create Recovery Point after synchornizing"

The manual sync without recoverypoint is only helpful to distribute the load (network io). ie., your 4 pm sync will only transfer files changed between 3pm to 4 pm.

Thanks,
    Arun.

• Marked as answer by CWS11 Friday, April 1, 2011 9:08 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by CWS11 Friday, April 1, 2011 9:58 AM
    • Marked as answer by CWS11 Friday, April 1, 2011 10:01 AM
    Friday, April 1, 2011 8:02 AM