STString dll. RRS feed

• Question

• I keep getting an error message saying that the STString dll. is missing from a program. It doesn't say which one. I think it might be a problem to do with IE. I have windows 7. I tried reinstalling IE9, that didn't help. Can anyone help?

Cheers, craig.  

• Moved by Carey FrischMVP Tuesday, November 1, 2011 3:21 PM Moved to more appropriate forum category (From:Windows 7 Installation, Setup, and Deployment)
    Tuesday, November 1, 2011 11:14 AM

Answers

• Based on a search of the internet, STString.dll is a module from some Dell software.  You need to go to the Dell Community forums and post there to get more information about your problem.
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Niki Han Monday, November 14, 2011 12:55 PM
    Tuesday, November 1, 2011 3:07 PM
  • Hi,

The error is mostly caused by virus or spyware infection. I suggest using your antivirus to scan for the computer. Then, you can perform clean boot to narrow down the root cause.

Generally, STString.dll is related to Dell Data Safe software. You can reinstall this program or contact Dell to fix the issue.

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, November 3, 2011 8:39 AM

All replies

• Based on a search of the internet, STString.dll is a module from some Dell software.  You need to go to the Dell Community forums and post there to get more information about your problem.
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, November 1, 2011 3:07 PM
  • Hi,

The error is mostly caused by virus or spyware infection. I suggest using your antivirus to scan for the computer. Then, you can perform clean boot to narrow down the root cause.

Generally, STString.dll is related to Dell Data Safe software. You can reinstall this program or contact Dell to fix the issue.

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, November 3, 2011 8:39 AM
  • I just thought I'd post a little fix for a problem I was having with my Dell desktop. After performing a registry cleanup (AVG), I began receiving the following error message every time I logged in: "application has failed to start because STString.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem."

I Googled the problem but couldn't find a proper fix - all of the other users experiencing this issue had been told to simply uninstall Dell DataSafe Local Backup (from which the problem spawns) or just to stop it running on start up in order to get rid of the error messages.

However, if, like me, this isn't something you particularly want to do, here's a quick fix:
    1.Find "Dell DataSafe Local Backup" within your Program Files (for me, this was under: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell DataSafe Local Backup")
    2.Locate the file STString.dll in this directory
    3.Copy the file - and I hasten to repeat, COPY it (do not move or cut the file, as this will cause many more issues)
    4.Find the Scheduler folder (for me, this was under: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell DataSafe Local Backup\Components\scheduler"
    5.Paste the file in to this directory

At this point, I should point out that STString.dll isn't - or at least wasn't for me - the only one missing. I also had to copy all of the following DLLs in the same way:

CSTError.dll
    STString.dll
    STXml.dll
    STStringArray.dll
    LibXml2.dll
    zlib1.dll
    STFiles.dll
    STRegistry.dll
    STPE.dll
    STNLS.dll
    STSystems.dll
    STLog.ddl

Hope this has been helpful and it really did work. Dell will tell you you need to do a system reboot but not needed.
    g
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 8:56 AM
  • I also got this message and Dell would not help me when all I wanted was a link to a replacement file.  Instead, they wanted me to go to a pay for service option.  I thought the software that removed it was System Mechanic through their registry repair function so I asked them as well.  They promply, and completely answered the question.  Here is a copy of it:

This message stems from a backup application called Datasafe that ships with Dell computers. If you do not use Datasafe and would like to get rid of the message, you can uninstall it normally within the control panel and the message will stop appearing.  If you do wish to use Datasafe, you can uninstall it and then reinstall it from the Dell link below.  It seems the older version was not coded correctly and is flagged by tools in SM (most likely the registry repair tool), but the newer version from that download link does not seem to have any problem functioning with SM.

http://dslbdownload.datasafelocalbackup.com/dsldownload-en.html

Saturday, April 14, 2012 2:33 AM
  • Thanks for the post its been very helpful. I have a question for you now I"m getting CoreFoundation.dll was not found

Did you have any steps for this problem? Thanks for your help.

Monday, June 18, 2012 6:26 AM