Is there any way to adjust the fan speed in Windows Server 2003? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I recently purchased a Dell PowerEdge 2850 with two Xeon 3GHz cores, 4GB ram and apparently four Minebea-Matsushita NMB-MAT 12v fans. Since I bought it, whenever it boots, the fans spin up to full RPM and it stays like that until it powers off. I have checked the 'Boot Menu' by pressing F2 for any fan or temperature controls but found none and I have tried the 'Utility Mode' by pressing F10 but nothing has worked. I have installed Windows Server 2003 on it and tried to use SpeedFan but I couldn't seem to control the fans. If there's any program that will let me slow down the fans would be great as it is so bloody loud, it's untrue :)

Please respond ASAP and thanks in advance,

Matt (muddyducky)

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 1:03 PM

Answers

• That depends on the motherboard. If your Minebea-Matsushita fan is a 3-pin fan, as I know it will always run on full speed. Only a 4-pin fan is speed-adjustable, 4th pin is for pwm design.

I suggest ask Dell for more.

TechNet Subscriber Support |If you have any feedback on Technet forum, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 25, 2013 2:52 AM

All replies

• This one may help.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/servers/f/956/p/19315285/19630094.aspx

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Thursday, July 25, 2013 2:13 AM
  • That depends on the motherboard. If your Minebea-Matsushita fan is a 3-pin fan, as I know it will always run on full speed. Only a 4-pin fan is speed-adjustable, 4th pin is for pwm design.

I suggest ask Dell for more.

TechNet Subscriber Support |If you have any feedback on Technet forum, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 25, 2013 2:52 AM