none
Task Sequence Rules and Model-Specific Driver Groups Won't Apply RRS feed

• Question

• I'm currently using MDT 2013 Update 1 (6.3.8298.1000) to deploy Windows 7 clients in my org. Recently, I wanted to branch out and add a second task sequence (standard client deployment type) that applies a different image that includes additional software for a specific subset of users.

To do so, I created a brand-new task sequence and essentially duplicated all steps from the single one that I've been using quite successfully, only with a smaller set of computer models and the alternative (and larger) captured image.

For some reason, this new task sequence does not inject drivers--it completely skips over the driver selection. I use DriverGroups in my task sequences (as outlined here: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askcore/2013/05/09/how-to-manage-out-of-box-drivers-with-the-use-of-model-specific-driver-groups-in-microsoft-deployment-toolkit-2012-update-1/), and again in my original TS this works wonderfully well.

Some of these machines have LSI or PERC RAID controllers, so while the image can be copied to drives (as the storage drivers have been added to the WinPE boot image), when Windows attempts to boot the first time it has no drivers for storage, and thus BSoDs repeatedly.

I'm really not sure where to go with this one--has anyone else run in to an issue like this?

Monday, February 6, 2017 9:44 PM

All replies

• Try this http://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/325/MDT-2013-Lite-Touch-Driver-Management

I prefer and would suggest the Total Control method of driver management. It's very important you follow the directions about SetDriverGroup and changing the selection profile for Inject drivers.

Any way it sounds like your task sequence isn't injecting the drivers. You could verify that by looking at your BDD.log file

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Monday, February 6, 2017 9:53 PM
  • Thanks for the quick reply Dan_Vega... I'd figured that drivers weren't injecting, what I don't know is why :) I've been using that same process as you linked (or essentially identical), so models are keyed to specific driver folders.

To recap, I've got two TS's built out, A and B. These are identical except for the image being applied. Unfortunately, B does not inject drivers.

Looking over the BDD log file, I see nothing overly amiss. All that happens is when task sequence B goes to inject the drivers, the filter returns zero drivers even though the %model% variable is being correctly set. (In contrast, task sequence A finds 86 drivers for the same model, so drivers are being injected correctly.)

Does any of this make more sense?

Tuesday, February 7, 2017 3:49 PM
  • It'd be easier to help if you could post your bdd.log and I could look over it. You can upload to OneDrive or the like and post the link.

Since you're using the model variable, have you verified that your folder name exactly matches what is returned by a wmi query?

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Tuesday, February 7, 2017 5:50 PM