none
DPM 2010 Expired tapes are not in the tape management report. And some do not show as expired when returned to the library. RRS feed

• Question

• I’ve been using DPM 2010 for about a few weeks now – and got panicky quickly. The tapes from Jobs with a retention range of 3 weeks mostly didn’t show as expired, we were quickly running out of tapes.

I created a script to list all tapes (MS needs to include this in the GUI)  and found dozens of tapes that should have been expired more than a week ago but Reporting/tape management/ did not list them – even if I told it to list the next 4 weeks .
    SO, I put 30 of those tapes in the library AND about half came up expired!!
    BUT the other half I cannot mark free or erase (I suppose because DPM still thinks they are part of a valid recovery point.)  These tapes are definitely EXPIRED because if I right click a tape/view tape contents/ I note that the oldest expiration date has already gone by (sometimes for weeks) but the tapes are not expired!

What gives?

Also, some of tapes are never marked off site ready, and many go to expired without ever being ‘offsite ready’ The tapes are for sure 'full' and crossed 'Write-period ratio' So, what’s with that?

Using HP MSL6000 library, 50 slot, 4 x lto-3 drives

Co-location is enabled.

Thursday, October 7, 2010 9:55 PM

Answers

• Mr. Baars suggested "to open a case with PSS because this needs a much more detailed investigation than possible in a forum settings" and he marked that as an answer. I haven't done that and won't as I'm not prepared to spend a dime to resolve the issue. This is (was) a new install on a freshly installed OS, it should work without calling mommy. The issue is annoying not debilitating. I'll put up with it.

Also the issue is not as bad as I originally observed: IFyou assume tapes don't ACTUALLY expire until 8 days past their 'expiration' date then there are only a few outliers per month.

I haven't heard anyone say that their installation works any differently. If someone else is seeing this problem on a fresh install that would be interesting to hear.

• Marked as answer by bheimbigner Sunday, February 13, 2011 12:47 AM
    Sunday, February 13, 2011 12:42 AM

All replies

• Intersting, I was about to ask if the msl2400 series with multiple tape drives is supported.  Please post more information as I am looking at moving to a library with multiple tape drives for throughput reasons.

Friday, October 8, 2010 4:39 PM
  • Yes the MSL libraries are supported, and other than the above issues have worked fine. I doubt that the issues above are related to multiple drives as most libraries have multiple drives.

The only real problem is 4 drives will exceed the transfer of 1Gb Ethernet.

Friday, October 8, 2010 5:10 PM
  • One other possible factor for my problems is that since the time we started we changed the protection groups significantly, including renaming some, deleting some, and changing PGs from long term to short term tape storage. DPM should be able to handle that but maybe not.

Friday, October 8, 2010 5:23 PM
  • Fiber or teaming no more bottlenepck ;)

Friday, October 8, 2010 5:29 PM
  • SO it worked for a time period?   If so how long?

Friday, October 8, 2010 5:30 PM
  • I don't think it ever worked 100%. But it is hard to say. I didn't keep close track of tapes initially as I let DPM tell me when to bring expired tapes back. Within 4 weeks it was clear DPM wasn't identifying the expired tapes.
    Friday, October 8, 2010 6:22 PM
  • We are having the same problem. Tapes are not expiring even though all the expiry dates listed for the tapes contents have long passed. Marking the tape as free via the gui doesn't work as DPM still thinks it has valid recovery points on it!

I'm using the script on the website below to free the tapes

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/archive/2008/12/04/how-to-expire-tape-recovery-points-in-dpm-2007.aspx

Sunday, October 10, 2010 11:28 AM
  • Yes that script can force tapes free and that is what I've have to do. BUT what a pain.

Expired tapes not in the tape management report is a bug. Microsoft should fix this.

• Edited by bheimbigner Friday, October 15, 2010 5:14 PM put in different forum
    Monday, October 11, 2010 4:50 PM
  • Hi,

do you have "inactive" data sources reporting data on those expired tapes and/or no longer existing groups?

If so remove all tape related intactives you do not want/need and check 'tomorrow' (after midnight pruning) if still looking improper. Indeed, sounds like something need be fixed but what is not exactly clear to me yet.

\R2 This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Monday, October 18, 2010 11:19 AM
  • The source of data (servers with files/sql/VMs) still exist (no inactive data sources). In some cases the PG has been renamed, in other cases they have their original names. Deleted PGs (with retained data) seem to be fine. It has been a month since I've made any big changes to the PGs. In the last month I have done simple things like added folders to the file systems PG or SQL dbs to the SQL PG.

Since there are no inactive data sources there are no tapes to remove.

I just ran another tape management report. And it is way off. The report says only 5 tapes are due on line in the next 4 weeks while 13 are overdue. Most of our PGs have a retention of 3 weeks and we fill about 24 tapes per week. Since the report is for the next 4 weeks there should be about 75 tapes in the 'overdue' and 'due on line in the next 4 weeks' report.

So something is wrong.

Monday, October 18, 2010 4:09 PM
  • This remains a problem. I have noticed that tapes get marked expired more conservatively than you would think. I’ve found that tapes get marked expired about 1 week to 10 days after the last ‘expires on’ date under ‘tape contents’ - that is pretty conservative.

However, some tapes just never (after 2 or 3 or more weeks) get marked as expired. And I end up using the previously mentioned script to force those tapes free.

The tape management report continues to be way off.

So either something is wrong, there is a bug, or this is your life after you move to DPM.

Thursday, November 18, 2010 8:06 PM
  • May I suggest to open a case with PSS because this needs a much more detailed investigation than possible in a forum settings. A lot changed and a lot of factors play a role (like collocation parameters in relation to what is on tape), that needs to be mapped out to determine if and where failures occur that should be fixed.
    \R2 This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Thursday, November 18, 2010 8:12 PM
  • Could you share the script you created to list all tapes?
    Thursday, November 25, 2010 8:22 AM
  • Mr. Baars suggested "to open a case with PSS because this needs a much more detailed investigation than possible in a forum settings" and he marked that as an answer. I haven't done that and won't as I'm not prepared to spend a dime to resolve the issue. This is (was) a new install on a freshly installed OS, it should work without calling mommy. The issue is annoying not debilitating. I'll put up with it.

Also the issue is not as bad as I originally observed: IFyou assume tapes don't ACTUALLY expire until 8 days past their 'expiration' date then there are only a few outliers per month.

I haven't heard anyone say that their installation works any differently. If someone else is seeing this problem on a fresh install that would be interesting to hear.

• Marked as answer by bheimbigner Sunday, February 13, 2011 12:47 AM
    Sunday, February 13, 2011 12:42 AM