none
DPM online backup RRS feed

• Question

• I am testing online backup functionality in DPM server 2012 R2.

I was able to perform a backup of one small Hyper-V VM.

However, on other small VM's I am now getting the below error.

what do I need to do to fix this,  I don't understand the shadow copy part, what exactly do I need to increase?

Log Name:      DPM Alerts
    Source:        DPM-EM
    Date:          19/01/2017 16:45:13
    Event ID:      3188
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      DPM.ldn.local
    Description:

Creation of online recovery points for Online\xxx on xxx.vm-cluster.ldn.local have failed. The last online recovery point creation failed for the following reason: (ID: 3188)
    Unable to create a snapshot for this datasource. Following are possible reasons and recommended actions:
    1. Replica of datasource is in invalid state. Please run consistency check on this datasource.
    2. Replica data is in inconsistent state. Please create a disk recovery point of this datasource.
    3. Shadow copy volume should have 1258291200 Bytes free for taking a snapshot. Please increase shadow copy volume size. (ID: 33504)
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="DPM-EM" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="0">3188</EventID>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2017-01-19T16:45:13.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>376</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>DPM Alerts</Channel>
        <Computer>DPM.ldn.local</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>
    Creation of online recovery points for Online\xxx on xxx.vm-cluster.ldn.local have failed. The last online recovery point creation failed for the following reason: (ID: 3188)
    Unable to create a snapshot for this datasource. Following are possible reasons and recommended actions:
    1. Replica of datasource is in invalid state. Please run consistency check on this datasource.
    2. Replica data is in inconsistent state. Please create a disk recovery point of this datasource.
    3. Shadow copy volume should have 1258291200 Bytes free for taking a snapshot. Please increase shadow copy volume size. (ID: 33504)</Data>
        <Data>3188</Data>
        <Data>cbd8c009-366a-494b-9744-c89772d90e71</Data>
        <Data>DPM.ldn.local</Data>
        <Data>xxx.vm-cluster.ldn.local</Data>
        <Data>cbd8c009-366a-494b-9744-c89772d90e71</Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
        <Data>Online recovery point creation failed</Data>
        <Data>a277abdf-dcff-477b-b65b-f33e4788e252</Data>
        <Data>
    3. Shadow copy volume should have 1258291200 Bytes free for taking a snapshot. Please increase shadow copy volume size. (ID: 33504)</Data>
        <Data>33504</Data>
        <Data>1</Data>
        <Data>81583</Data>
        <Data>71</Data>
        <Data>HyperV</Data>
        <Data>-1</Data>
        <Data>-1</Data>
        <Data>-1</Data>
        <Data>-1</Data>
        <Data>-1</Data>
        <Data>-1</Data>
        <Data>-1</Data>
        <Data>-1</Data>
        <Data>926c0bfb-affb-4c4d-a43f-e51b8d9d21ec</Data>
        <Data>a6312e94-3292-4d9e-9b58-c83dc78f82d7</Data>
        <Data>0</Data>
        <Data>Please check and fix above possible reasons and try the operation again. If the issue persists, contact Microsoft Support.</Data>
        <Data>Execute resume DPM backups</Data>
        <Data>Online recovery point creation jobs for NO_PARAM Online\xxx on xxx.vm-cluster.ldn.local have failed 1 times.</Data>
        <Data>CloudBackupFailure</Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
        <Data>0</Data>
        <Data>Online recovery point creation failed</Data>
        <Data>NoAction</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Thursday, January 19, 2017 4:52 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Hmm - Very sorry to hear that is the only solution that worked for you, certainly not desirable and not something I would have wanted to do.   I believe DPM 2012 UR2 will be released sometime next month.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by drensta Wednesday, January 25, 2017 3:59 PM
    Monday, January 23, 2017 11:52 PM

All replies

• Hi,

This is a known code defect in DPM 2012 R2 dealing with auto grow for online backups and is slated to be fixed in the next update rollup.  In the meantime please extend the "Replica" volume.  I know the error mentions to increase the recovery point volume, but under the covers it's the replica volume that needs more space.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, January 19, 2017 6:32 PM
  • I have tried what you suggested but I am still getting the error.

I am running DPM 2012 R2 4.2.1553.0 which I believe is the latest version.

I tried increasing the replica disk allocation by 25GB. still get the same error,

Tried on a different VM, in the same protection group, but get the issue.
    I am manually creating the recovery point online.

It worked on the first VM (and is still working).

Any other VM I am trying with gives this error.

The VM it is working on, this is a new protection group that I setup for this vm to try online backup

with the other failing VM's,  I amended the protection group and changed it from long term tape to online archive.

would this make a difference when amending a pre-existing PG?

Friday, January 20, 2017 9:08 AM
  • Hi,

I cannot explain why extending the replica did not help, I guess go ahead and extend the recovery point volume.   If you have disk co-location enabled for the hyper-v guests then any VM that shares the same replica would be effected. 

Friday, January 20, 2017 8:48 PM
  • Hi,

I extended the volumes but that didn't work.

It seems the only way this works is to remove the VM from DPM protection group and delete the protected data from disk

Then re-add the VM, perform a disk backup then the online backup works.

Do you know when the next release for DPM 2012 will be released?

Thanks

Monday, January 23, 2017 5:27 PM
  • Hi,

Hmm - Very sorry to hear that is the only solution that worked for you, certainly not desirable and not something I would have wanted to do.   I believe DPM 2012 UR2 will be released sometime next month.

• Marked as answer by drensta Wednesday, January 25, 2017 3:59 PM
    Monday, January 23, 2017 11:52 PM