none
Long Term Tape Expiration Points RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

I am trying to figure out what exactly is going on with my protection group.  I am using DPM 2012 SP1 with UR7.

I have a fair amount of data (~14 TB) that I am trying to roll from disk to tape.  This data needs to be archived for 7 years.  So what I did was create a protection group for the data and rolled that to my DPM disks.  No problem there.  I then modified the protection group to include long-term protection to tape, setting the recovery goal to backup every year, and then keep the data for 7 years.  In a nutshell, I want to roll the archive data to tape ONCE and then have that data kept for SEVEN years.

I am using LTO4 drives and tapes (obviously) to accomplish this.  I have 16 tapes in the library to keep the data.  However, after about half the tapes have data written to them, DPM marks the tapes as "Expired."  The tapes are never marked as "Offsite-ready" and from what I can tell, the tapes are not full either.

Can someone perhaps shed some light on what I'm doing wrong?  I figure this should be a relatively simple thing to do, but it has proved to be anything BUT that with DPM.

Thanks.

-Mike

Sunday, October 19, 2014 4:43 PM

Answers

• Hi,

A couple of things.

1) The protection group is set up properly for the goals you want.
    2) It seems to be GUI bug that is always showing 1 month for retention range - but right below it is displayed the correct desired range.
    3) If the tape backup job failed - then the backup set in progress is invalidated.  This explains why the spanned tapes are showing expired (so they can be reused) and you are not able to see datasets on the tapes after a re-catalog.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, October 20, 2014 9:18 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please right-click on one of the expired tapes and select the option to view tape details - that will show the datasets on the tape, when they were written and their expiry date.   Please double check the long term tape protection goal to be sure it says yearly for seven years.  If you have multiple goals, they should be in ascending order. (IE: daily, monthly, yearly, not any other order.)

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Sunday, October 19, 2014 7:43 PM
  • Thanks for the reply Mike.

When I select the option to "View Tape Contents," DPM notifies me that it needs to re-catalog the tape before it can display the contents.  When I select to "re-catalog the contents" DPM appears to run the job, but I still can't view the contents of the tape.  I also tried to "Mark Tape as Free," then "Unmark tape as free," (so the tape showed as imported) then I tried to do an inventory of the contents, but that didn't work either.  The job ran without failure, but I still can't read the content of the tape. 

I'm assuming I didn't set up the protection group right with respect to my long term goal.  That's the only thing I can think of.

However, this is how I set up my long term protection group:

As I stated, I'm basically trying to do this as a "one-off." I'm just not sure if I set up the protection group properly to accomplish this.

Appreciate the response.

Sunday, October 19, 2014 8:22 PM
  • Hi,

The protection group is set up correctly.  When you say "I'm basically trying
    to do this as a "one-off."  - what exactly do you mean by that.  If you made the backup, then removed the long term protection goal, that could expire the tape.    Not sure why a re-catalog is not working for you, it should let you see what's on the tape.  Do you see "External DPM Tapes" under the recovery tab ?  If so see if that recovery point is listed.

Sunday, October 19, 2014 9:42 PM
  • As a one-off, I mean, I want to roll this data from disk to tape once as an archive and then that would be it.  As I stated earlier, this data needs to be archived for ~7 years.  I've got the data on disk (no more to be added to disk) and I want to roll it to tape long-term.

I have NOT removed the long-term protection goal, that is still intact.  To answer your last question, no.  I do NOT see External DPM Tapes under the recovery tab.  That leads me to believe that there is something...off...with the recovery points, although I'm not sure what that would be.

Let me ask, if you were trying to move data to tape to archive long term, how would you set up your protection group(s)?  I truly believe I'm missing something, but I don't know what.

Sunday, October 19, 2014 11:20 PM
  • Hi,

Ok, for data sources that span two or more tapes, all the tapes that have that data source on them need to be re-cataloged before it will show up under the external dpm tapes tree.

Monday, October 20, 2014 12:48 AM
  • Ok, so is there a script that I can obtain/run that would accomplish this for me? Or should I just click on each one individually in the DPM Management Console and select "Identify Unknown Tape?"  Because I tried doing a detailed inventory on the library and I am still unable to read the contents of the tapes.

Also, you stated earlier that the protection group appeared to be set up properly.  Could you please elaborate on how you would construct a protection group to accomplish the stated goal?

Monday, October 20, 2014 1:17 AM
  • Some more information:

As I stated earlier ITT, the tapes are marked as "Expired," and what was/is strange is that DPM seemed to mark the tapes as expired all at once.  Here's how I have set my short and long term retention goals:

I don't know if it's the way that I have my short/long-term retention goals set that is causing the tapes to be marked as "Expired" or if it is something else entirely.  I'm also curious as to why the retention range in the "long-term goals" reads as "Retention range 1 Month(s)," yet the recovery points read as what I've specified.

Also, given that I have ~14 TB to roll to tape, only ~9.5 TB went to tape before the job failed and failed with a 3311 error that stated the "drive needed to be cleaned."  I did not have an option to resume the job, only to run it again.

I'm at a complete loss to explain what's going on.

Monday, October 20, 2014 7:00 PM
  • Hi,

A couple of things.

1) The protection group is set up properly for the goals you want.
    2) It seems to be GUI bug that is always showing 1 month for retention range - but right below it is displayed the correct desired range.
    3) If the tape backup job failed - then the backup set in progress is invalidated.  This explains why the spanned tapes are showing expired (so they can be reused) and you are not able to see datasets on the tapes after a re-catalog.

Monday, October 20, 2014 9:18 PM