none
how to retrieve inbound emails when my servers are offline RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi,

Last week my servers and all devices including sonicwall and email relay smart host went offline due some power losses in data centre. We could make it up only after 66 hours ( two and half days).

My problem is some of my users were expecting some important emails during that period and when server became online they did not recieve those emails.

I reviewed the email log from our Public ISP which shows that there were several email during that particular period to my domain 

Is there any way to retrieve those emails ? how long an external server hold emails while my servers and smart host are offline?

Monday, August 18, 2014 7:12 PM

All replies

• When a mail server encounters a temporary failure (like host unreachable) they will typically hold onto the mail for 4 days, retrying delivery at intervals until it reaches the retry limit and issues a permanent failure DSN back to the sender.

Since they're being held in a queue waiting for the retry timers to expire before the delivery is retried, you may see those emails get delivered some time after your servers come back online.

[string](0..33|%{[char][int](46+("686552495351636652556262185355647068516270555358646562655775 0645570").substring(($_*2),2))})-replace " "

Monday, August 18, 2014 7:49 PM
  • My server went offline at thursady 6.00 PM and became online at sunday 12.30 PM.

Users still waiting for emails on that period. Does it take this much time normally ? or is it depending on the external mail server configuration?

Monday, August 18, 2014 8:29 PM
  • This is a scripting forum (?). Perhaps your questions are best asked in a more appropriate forum.

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

Monday, August 18, 2014 8:40 PM
  • My server went offline at thursady 6.00 PM and became online at sunday 12.30 PM.

Users still waiting for emails on that period. Does it take this much time normally ? or is it depending on the external mail server configuration?

As noted - it can take up to 3 days to resend mail depending on how the servers are configured.  Usually all mail is delivered within 24 hours and no sooner.

There is no script or way we can help you with this.  Call you ISP or your vendor for more help on how to administer Internet mail. 

Your outage may guarantee that you will have lost at least a days mail.  Call the senders and ask them to send it again. 

As Bill has pointed out - this is not a scripting question but is a question about how to manage a mail server.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Monday, August 18, 2014 8:57 PM
  • If you need to provide some sort of protection then you might want to filter your email through another site first and archive it there before sending it on to your email server.  Postini used to work great for this but Google has moved that service to their Google Apps.  You can also use Dell MessageOne to mail bag your email.   It's pretty transparent while your email services are up and running locally and if you service goes offline you can login to their site and retrieve your mail or hold it until your servers come back up.

Monday, August 18, 2014 9:17 PM