none
Data Protection Manager upgrade, migration, or new install? RRS feed

• Question

• hi everyone,

I have an existing DPM 2007 32 bit 2k3 installation on a physical machine attached to a dell storage array. My organization would like to create a 64 bit Hyper-V virtual machine and use DPM 2010 and attach it to the array. Per Dell, with our existing configuration, we will have to "clean off" the array and start fresh since we would like to move the array over to the Hyper-V host machine. I do not have any room on existing storage to move the DPM 2007 database on the network, so I have some LTO tapes I was thinking of putting the back up on. My question is, should I just back up the existing DB [about 6TB] to tape and start new with DPM 2010 on the 2k8r2 virtual machine [preferred] or should I attempt some kind of migration? Also could some one point me to a guide for the best process for this project? Thanks in advance for any thoughts, advice, or assistance.

Monday, October 10, 2011 4:32 PM

Answers

• Your most welcome =)

Please mark my reply as awnser.

Best Regards

Robert Hedblom

MVP DPM

Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com

• Marked as answer by Ethan12345 Thursday, October 20, 2011 5:42 PM
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 6:36 PM

All replies

• Hi Ethan,

You can preform a "migration" in different ways. Firts of, you must decide if you want to keep your DPM configuration, history and data.

Scenario1: You can upgrade your DPM 2007 server to 2010 dump the DPMDB, install a new dpm server, move the old disk that were the DPM diskpool to the new dpm server, restore dpm on the new hardware and sync it up using DPMSync -SyncYou could always use passthorugh disk configuration in Hyper-V for your new DPM server.

Scenario2: Wipe n' forget. According to DELL you must start over, install a new DPM server, point over all the agents (do this by using script, SCCM or manually) and recreate your protection groups. You will have no data saved on disk.

This is the scearion you got. Your must choose wheter to upgrade or make a new installation of DPM.

Best Regards

Robert Hedblom

MVP DPM

Monday, October 10, 2011 8:51 PM
  • hi Robert thanks for the reply

I would prefer to just back up the existing DB to tape and archive it, and then decommission the 32 bit DPM 2007 physical server.

Then I could move the Dell Storage array to the Virtual Host [which has the new DPM Virtual server] and install DPM 2010 and start over. I can reconfigure the array and read the documentation on a new DPM 2010 install but how do I back up the DPMDB to tape?

I have multiple 400GB LTO tapes and I intstalled a SCSI tape drive but my DPMDB is almost 6TB. Can you point me to a doc with instructions on how to back up the DB to tape?

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 4:41 PM
  • Hi Ethan,

Wich version of DPM2007 are you running?

As I understand your choosing to make a "clean start" / start over with a new installation of DPM? Thats a good idea.

Since your DPMDB is quite large i would recommend you to preform a shrink operation on it. You can do this in the SQL management studio and this is supported from Microsoft. You could also look at this thread (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dataprotectionmanager/thread/26089aaa-8cd3-4f5a-9abb-a567ff13a8d1/ ) regarding shrinking your DPMDB.

Please get back with information regarding your progress.

Best Regards

Robert Hedblom

MVP DPM

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 8:22 PM
  • sorry cant seem to find where the version information is in the console, I will look more tomorrow. The sql shrink didnt work, I'll need to keep researching. Whats the process to save the entire DB to tape?

thanks!

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 11:12 PM
  • sorry cant seem to find where the version information is in the console, I will look more tomorrow. The sql shrink didnt work, I'll need to keep researching. Whats the process to save the entire DB to tape?

thanks!

Hi Ethan,

To check the DPM version go into the admin console and click on the "info" icon on the right hand side at the top corner. In the "system Center Data Protection Manager 2007" info page you will find your version.

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.dpm2010.com
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 3:31 PM
  • thanks! that is a slightly camouflaged "i" button

Version 2.0.8861.0

any tips on compressing the DB and / or saving the DB to tape? My tape drive is detected by DPM but I dont see a way to copy the entire DB to tape...

thanks again

Thursday, October 13, 2011 7:05 PM
  • ok to follow up I found out to archive the DPMDB I needed to create another protection group after enabling colocation of data on tape. I followed the archiving directions from the DPM 2007 operations guide and was able to successfully back up the DPMDB to tape. But I dont see anything in there for the exchange server, the primary domain controller, our file server, etc. The size of the DPMDB was about 900MB from the local SQL server. I will continue to research backing up the other servers data to tape. As mentioned I have about 6TB on the array that I need to clean off, but Im having difficulty moving it to tape for archival.
    Friday, October 14, 2011 9:38 PM
  • still unable to find out how to back up what is on the array to tape. Anyone know how to back up a server to tape for archiving? For example we have a protection group for the exchange server currently being backed up to the array, and I would like to archive it on tape. Anyone know if this can be done?
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 9:17 PM
  • Right click the protected member, choose to create a recovery point, choose long-term.

This will create a recovery point to tape.

Best Regards

Robert Hedblom

MVP DPM

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 6:27 AM
  • The option "Create recovery point - Tape" is greyed out. I will keep looking...
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 4:53 PM
  • I spoke too soon, I had to select the protection group and then go to action menu > modify protection group > then check the box "long term protection to tape"

After finishing the wizard, now I have the option to create a recovery point to tape. I will attempt a back up and post the results. Thanks for all your help.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 5:02 PM
  • Your most welcome =)

Please mark my reply as awnser.

Best Regards

Robert Hedblom

MVP DPM

• Marked as answer by Ethan12345 Thursday, October 20, 2011 5:42 PM
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 6:36 PM
  • Just wanted to follow up, this completely saved my job last Monday. Saving everything to tape before rolling out DPM 2010 in the middle of the project - - we coincidentally had a catastrophic storage array failure, where the only hot standby was rebuilding and we had a second drive failure resulting in data loss. With out this back up to tape the entire engineering team could be updating their resume right now. THANKS
    Monday, November 7, 2011 9:48 PM
  • I'm glad that I could help you out.

=)

Best Regards

Robert Hedblom

MVP DPM

Wednesday, November 9, 2011 7:20 AM