Cannot populate AD System Discovery with Description Attribute RRS feed

• Question

• I would like AD System Discovery to gather the Description values on Computer objects in AD. However, on the Active Directory Attrbutes tab of Active Directory System Discovery Properties, the description attribute is not in the list of available attributes. I have populated that attribute on several computers, but since I cannot specify that attribute to be captured, that doesn't matter. Why would "description" be missing from that list? I tried custom to add it in, but it does not discover any values for any of the computers I populated. I would not expect that I would need to do something with the schema since that attribute seems to be listed under the computer object class.

adsysdis.log reveals "Optional attribute count=1", referring to me adding description as a custom attribute. Nothing is captured as evidenced on the General tab of the computer properties in the Assets and Compliance Workspace.

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 8:08 PM

All replies

• If it can't find  a attribute it will return an error like this in the log: WARN: Failed to get following optional attributes, description,

Do you have any of those warnings in your log?

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 9:18 PM
  • OK, I do see that message. Guess I did not look close enough at the log earlier. One warning per device discovered. So, it knows to look for it. I have values attached to this attribute in AD. What exacty causes a warning like this when there are values to discover?
    Wednesday, October 24, 2012 9:47 PM
  • Sounds odd, you sure you have spelled description right?

Thursday, October 25, 2012 5:52 AM