Outlook 2013 - 2 exchange accounts, New Mail icon & desktop notification only appears for original account RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I have 2 exchange accounts configured in my Outlook 2013. I keep  the original account because I occasionally need old email threads but I don't need notifications of new emails.

I have the second account set as the default account and is the account that opens upon launching Outlook. However, I only get desktop notifications and new mail icons for the original exchange account, not the new (default) account. I don't care whether I get notifications for both accounts, but I at LEAST need to change it so notifications are received on the second (default) account.  

Anyone know how to make this change?

Thanks!

Friday, May 18, 2018 5:49 PM

All replies

• Hi

Please first check the options in Outlook via File > Options > Mail > Message arrival.

Besides, desktop alert only displays for messages which arrives in Inbox. If you create a rule to move them to sub-folder, you need to select the action “display a Desktop Alert”. Please refer to the rule description below.

If issue persists, please try repairing Office to check the result. To do this, please go to Control Pane > Programs and Features. Right click your Office suit. Click Change and then click Repair.

Any updates, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Wednesday, May 23, 2018 8:23 AM
    Monday, May 21, 2018 2:22 AM
  • Hi,

Any updates with this issue?

If you have more concern about it, please post back at ease.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, May 22, 2018 1:37 AM
  • Hi, 

I tried your suggestions and the rule is working, however I still dont get the new mail icon on the taskbar 

This only appears when new mail is received in the original email:

I have set the new email address to default in every area I can find but Outlook still doesnt view the new email address as the main one. 

Any idea how to change that?

thank you

Wednesday, May 23, 2018 2:13 PM
  • Hi,

If you add another exchange account, will same issue occur?

In case there is something wrong with the profile, please create a new profile to check the results. Please go to Control Pane > Mail > Show Profiles > Add.

You can try opening Outlook in safe mode to see if the issue continues. Please exit Outlook, press Win key + R to open the Run command, type outlook.exe /safe and then press Enter. This helps eliminate whether the problem lies on any third party add-ins.

Besides, we could also create a rule to display desktop notification for this Exchange account. Please refer to the following rule description.

Regards,

Perry

• Edited by Perry-Pan Thursday, May 24, 2018 5:54 AM
    Thursday, May 24, 2018 5:52 AM