Frustrated - Black screen (with movable cursor) after login in Windows 8. Just started happening out of blue RRS feed

• Question

• I have been running Windows 8 for seven months now with NO issues. All of a sudden this morning after logging in, all I see is a solid black screen. But the cursor is visible and I can move it around with the mouse.

When I press CTRL-ALT-DELETE I see the four options appear, including the Task Manager. When I click on Task Manager it doesn't appear, but I can see the mouse pointer change from an arrow to the round circle like it's loading briefly.

The only options I could click on that actually did anything was "Lock Computer" or "Restart". If I click lock, it goes back to the color welcome screen. If I click restart, it restarts ok, but that's it.

I've restarted a dozen times trying to get into safe mode to no avail (did they remove safe mode in windows 8?!?).

Somehow I was able to get it to go into a "Restore Mode" ONE time, and it restored my PC to an earlier time. I restarted the computer after the restore and same issue.

Next I thought it may be a video card issue, so I swapped out the video card with a different model. That didn't work. I even removed the PCI-E video card completely and used the motherboard's built-in VGA port. Same thing. Everything comes on, but after typing in my password, nothing but a black screen.

What's frustrating is that I can see the FULL COLOR Windows 8 welcome screen. It's only after typing in the password that I get the black screen. So I highly doubt it's a physical video card issue.

I've searched everywhere for a answer, and nobody has a clear solution to this issue, but it seems to be a very common issue with Windows 8. My he computer has been running fine for 7+ months now with no issues, and nothing has changed recently to my knowledge.

To summarize:

• I've ruled out the video card being an issue
    • restored the PC to earlier time
    • Can't open Task Manager (it seems to loads but it just doesn't appear visually)
    • can't boot into safe mode or do anything else (f8, shift F8 or F5 don't do anything)

So frustrated. Help!!!

Monday, February 11, 2013 7:40 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Try to insert Windows 8 installation disc, and boot to WinRE, the perform a system refresh for test.

When you refresh your PC, your files and personalization settings won't change.

Your PC settings will be restored to their defaults.
    Apps from Windows Store will be kept. All other apps will be removed.

Leo Huang
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Leo Huang Thursday, February 21, 2013 8:47 AM
    Wednesday, February 13, 2013 3:19 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Try to insert Windows 8 installation disc, and boot to WinRE, the perform a system refresh for test.

When you refresh your PC, your files and personalization settings won't change.

Your PC settings will be restored to their defaults.
    Apps from Windows Store will be kept. All other apps will be removed.

Leo Huang
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Leo Huang Thursday, February 21, 2013 8:47 AM
    Wednesday, February 13, 2013 3:19 AM
  • https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=windows%208%20black%20screen%20with%20cursor&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CDoQtwIwAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DWSyh-h5yS1U&ei=UNilUbeSJ-LQiAfy_ICQCg&usg=AFQjCNFuOXdsxFc6HVuSWwQJF7DxbdeZew&sig2=tq2Q7gmuKou5Gxp-pob_lA&bvm=bv.47008514,d.aGc Funny thing is if the user have avast installed then it can also cause the problem. Sorry i couldn't put the youtube web address of that video of solution. This is nice and effective.
    Wednesday, May 29, 2013 10:43 AM