Cleaning up large Content DB (>100GB)? RRS feed

• Question

• My company recently acquired another company who has their own MOSS 2007 farm.  They only had one person supporting SharePoint and that person has since left which leaves me in charge of this new farm.  I was checking out the Content DBs when I noticed that there was one sitting at 123GB!!  I did some investigating into the the site associated with the huge content db (with the help of a third party Site Administrator tool) and discovered that 122.4GB out of the total 123GB was all held up in one SharePoint list which only had 1952 items in it.

Only two of the items have attachments, so it's not an issue of file attachments.  Version History is enabled on the library, but as I open random items and view the version history, I'm only seeing around 10 - 12 versions per item (arguably, I only checked a handful).  What could possibly be causing this list to take up 122.4GB of space?

The one odd thing I did notice was regarding the "Version" column.  If I go to the "All Items" view of the list and display the Version column, I can see that some of items are showing ridiculous numbers in the column (one shows 41510.0 for example), but if I open the properties and view the version history, I only see 12 versions.  Am I missing something? 

Thursday, February 17, 2011 8:38 PM

Answers

• try writing a custom tool to go though all the list items and the version histories and attachments, then writing the filesizes into a csv? 
    • Marked as answer by David HM Monday, February 28, 2011 1:54 AM
    Friday, February 18, 2011 6:40 AM