Administrator user accounts do not have administrative rights RRS feed

• Question

• I have "rebuilt" several computers over the last few months and setup the user accounts so they can login to the network. I setup all users as administrators of their local machines. Most work properly but some still say that the user doesn't have administrative rights. What am i doing wrong?  This is also happening with some of my Windows 7 64 bit machines.  Any help is appreciated.
    Thursday, June 2, 2011 2:08 PM

All replies

• This is aimed at the Windows 7 PC's........even when logged on as an administrator many applications need to be elevated into "Run as Administrator" else they will try and run with no administrative rights. This depends on your UAC settings, as it is possible to elevate without prompting, but this is not recommended especially as All Users are admins.

Are you in a Domain Environment or Workgroup? If Domain are you sure the Resticted Groups settings are applying the Administrator groups and users correctly

Lee Bowman MCITP MCTS
    Thursday, June 2, 2011 3:58 PM
  • This is happening on both Windows 7 and XP machines. We are in a domain environment. I can understand having to "Run As Administrator" on the Win 7 machine but XP doesn't have UAC so is that really the issue here?
    Monday, June 6, 2011 8:30 PM
  • This is the same issue I am having on a newly rebuilt machine running XP Pro in a 2003 Domain.  In searcing the Net, I see thousands of others having the same problem too... and across entire Domains.

To sum up my exact problem, on the Domain account "Administrator" has admin rights.  No other Domain account has admin rights on the XP box, no matter what rights it is given in ADU&C. 

It would appear that some security update caused this problem.  And the fact that DEP keeps getting turned on all the time when I have machines that don't support it would seem to support this theory.  Plus the fact that the errors I was getting is what caused me to wipe and reinstall this machine, before realize exactly what the problem was (so I can't verify it for sure), also points to this being a security update bug.

I'm going to keep digging through the KB, hopefully some other article addresses this problem, but you would think they would be linked here.

Thursday, July 28, 2011 8:48 AM
  • To clarify, you are trying to grant LOCAL administrative rights to a user on the machine? If that is the case, it has nothing to do with ADUC, unless you want to grant Domain Admin rights to the user. As an administrator, click on start, right click computer, and click Manage. Go to Local Users and Groups, go into groups, right click on Administrators and click "Add to Group." Add the domain user from there...
    Thursday, July 28, 2011 3:52 PM
  • I have "rebuilt" several computers over the last few months and setup the user accounts so they can login to the network. I setup all users as administrators of their local machines. Most work properly but some still say that the user doesn't have administrative rights. What am i doing wrong?  This is also happening with some of my Windows 7 64 bit machines.  Any help is appreciated.

What administrative rights do you need, specifically?
    Thursday, July 28, 2011 3:53 PM