Taskbar/ Sidebar / Start Button after SP2 RRS feed

• Question

• Just installed SP2: Taskbar/Sidebar colours are grey rather than blue.

Tried changeing through Windows Color & Appearances but this only shows a blacked out window and no list of Color Schemes.

Star button logo has changed from Visa 'pearl'.

Restore point would take me back before SP2 install, so I'd prefer not to have to do that.

Thanks in advance.
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 3:19 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for your prompt answer.

Unfortunately, the problem keeps unresolved. However, we will keep deep discussion till it is resolved.

To move on, for further troubleshooting, I would like to suggest that you check if the following services are started.

Desktop Window Manager Session Manager

Themes

Meanwhile, to provide a link on how to enable and disable services.

How to enable and disable services

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/59910-services.html

Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Additionally, have you tried to logon with a different account as I mentioned in the first post? Based on my experience, the reason why some users come across this kind of issue is due to corrupt user profile. Thus I recommend that you logon with another account to see if it displays normally, if so, please visit the following website to fix this corrupted profile.

How to fix a corrupted user profile

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/769495bf-035c-4764-a538-c9b05c22001e1033.mspx

Hope this helps. Thanks.
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 2:24 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

Please understand that this issue may be related to corrupted Windows Vista SP2 installation files, thus I just provide some common troubleshooting here. if it doesn't work, I may also need to suggest that you perform a System Restore and do a reinstallation of Windows Vista SP2.

Since there are no list of Color Schemes in Windows Color & Appearances, it seems to be related to the display card driver compatibility with Windows Vista SP2. If it is the case, I would like to suggest that you update your display driver to see if the issue can be resolved. A new version of driver may include solution to this problem.

1.     Let's try to install driver through Windows Update.

Install driver via WU

=============

1)     Click the Start Button, type Device Manager in the search bar and press Enter. Click Continue if necessary.

2)     Expand the "Device Category name" category.

3)     Right click "Device Name" we are using and click Update Driver Software…

4)     Select the “Search automatically for updated driver software” option.

5)     Let the system scan for the updated driver online.

If Windows Update doesn't find any updated version of display card driver, I suggest that you contact manufacturer to obtain it. Then manually install the driver.

Manually install driver

=============

1)     Click the Start Button, type Device Manager in the search bar and press Enter. Click Continue if necessary.

2)     Expand the "Device Category name" category.

3)     Right click "Device Name" we are using and click Update Driver Software…

4)     Select the “Browse my computer for driver software” option.

5)     Click on the Browse button to locate the folder which includes the driver files.

6)     Click Next and follow the wizard to install the driver.

2.     Logon with another account to see if it displays normally.

3.     Perform a full scan on your computer, this issue also can be caused by virus or corrupted system files.

1)     Use security software to scan your computer, or you can scan try some free online scan tools, such as Kaspersky

2)     Run a command prompt to run chkdsk /f to fix system corrupted files.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Friday, June 12, 2009 2:03 AM
  • Hi Dale

Thanks for all that.

Card is NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS.
    Driver found on Windows Update - won't install.  Just marks installation failed.
    Manually installing up-to-date driver returns error message "NVIDIA detected o.s. is not Windows" !!!
    Full scan finds no problems.
    chkdsk finds no errors.
    Any further suggestions gratefully received.

Ran scannow and it found couldn't repair desktop.ini?
    David

Monday, June 15, 2009 11:33 AM
  • Forum doesn't seem to have updated to above reply!
    Monday, June 15, 2009 8:05 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry for late update.

Please understand that forum isn't a real time service, it is a public place for issue discussion. Sometimes it may take one day almost to reply customers' answers. Thanks for your understanding. However, we will update it as soon as we get your message.

To move on, let's back on above issue.

1. Where do you download the display driver? I may need to suggest that you download it from NVDIA site, and uninstall the display driver completely, then reinstall the latest one.

Download NVDIA GeForce 7900 GS Driver

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_185.85_whql.html

Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

2. Since running sfc /scannow found some corruptions, we may need to manually repair them. Please visit the following website for detail steps.

Some Windows Vista functions may not work, or Windows Vista may stop responding

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833  

If SFC Cannot Finish or Repair a File

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/66978-system-files-sfc-command.html

Meanwhile, if the issue persists, I may need to suggest that you perform a System Restore and a reinstallation of Windows Vista SP2.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Tuesday, June 16, 2009 3:07 AM
  • Hi Dale

I wasn't complaining about lack of replies (from you or anyone else) - just that the Forum hadn't updated posts to show my reply to you.  I'm grateful for any/all help I can get.

1. Had downloaded the display driver from NVIDIA site.  Followed your suggestion and now have it installed.  Thanks for that.  Unfortunately no change in the problem(s).

2. Working on repairing corruptions.  Was afraid you'd suggest a system restore and re-install of SP2.  I've been hoping not to have to do that.

Regards and thanks.
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 10:26 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your prompt answer.

Unfortunately, the problem keeps unresolved. However, we will keep deep discussion till it is resolved.

To move on, for further troubleshooting, I would like to suggest that you check if the following services are started.

Desktop Window Manager Session Manager

Themes

Meanwhile, to provide a link on how to enable and disable services.

How to enable and disable services

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/59910-services.html

Additionally, have you tried to logon with a different account as I mentioned in the first post? Based on my experience, the reason why some users come across this kind of issue is due to corrupt user profile. Thus I recommend that you logon with another account to see if it displays normally, if so, please visit the following website to fix this corrupted profile.

How to fix a corrupted user profile

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/769495bf-035c-4764-a538-c9b05c22001e1033.mspx

Hope this helps. Thanks.
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 2:24 AM