Hidden C drive, but save to desktop? RRS feed

• Question

• I have the C drive hidden on my computers using steady state, and I am allowing saving to the Desktop. This is not working how ever. It sais that there are restrictions preventing this. I do need to be able to save to the desktop for that session tho. Id there any way to do this without unhiding the c drive?

Thursday, August 16, 2007 6:23 PM

Answers

• Hi Zoedavison,

If you would like to save files to the Desktop when drive C is hidden, please make sure the following restriction is unchecked:

------------------

1. Open SteadyState. Click the public use account

2. Select the Windows Restrictions tab.

3. Make sure the last restriction in the restriction list is not selected. (Prevent users from saving files  to the desktop)

4. Click OK.

When a partition is hidden by SteadyState, the user will not have permission to access the hard drive. Another manner is simply hide the drive icon from My Computer I have also included the information for your reference:

1. Download and install Tweak UI:

Tweak UI is an application provided by Microsoft. With this tool, one can customize the user interface of Windows XP easily. Please download Tweak UI from the following link:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe?

Then, double-click the downloaded .exe file to install Tweak UI.

2. Use Tweak UI to hide the drive C:

------------

a. Run Tweak UI

b. Expand "My Computer", and click "Drives".

c. Uncheck the box before drive C.

d. Click "OK".

Note: Although drive C disappear from My Computer, we can access it from the address bar.

Best Regards,

Monday, August 20, 2007 8:10 AM

All replies

• Hi Zoedavison,

If you would like to save files to the Desktop when drive C is hidden, please make sure the following restriction is unchecked:

------------------

1. Open SteadyState. Click the public use account

2. Select the Windows Restrictions tab.

3. Make sure the last restriction in the restriction list is not selected. (Prevent users from saving files  to the desktop)

4. Click OK.

When a partition is hidden by SteadyState, the user will not have permission to access the hard drive. Another manner is simply hide the drive icon from My Computer I have also included the information for your reference:

1. Download and install Tweak UI:

Tweak UI is an application provided by Microsoft. With this tool, one can customize the user interface of Windows XP easily. Please download Tweak UI from the following link:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe?

Then, double-click the downloaded .exe file to install Tweak UI.

2. Use Tweak UI to hide the drive C:

------------

a. Run Tweak UI

b. Expand "My Computer", and click "Drives".

c. Uncheck the box before drive C.

d. Click "OK".

Note: Although drive C disappear from My Computer, we can access it from the address bar.

Best Regards,

Monday, August 20, 2007 8:10 AM
  • I am trying to accomplish these tasks

I have followed the steps. I need to remove the restrictions to run TweakUI in the Public users profile. Then when I reapply the restrictions, the C drive reappears for the Public user!

what am I missing?

Thursday, September 6, 2007 5:49 PM
  • Hi Robert,

Based on my test, TweakUI configurations will be overwritten when applying SteadyState restrictions.

Here is what I did on my computer.

================

1. Create a new public user profile.

2. Add the new user profile to administrator group. (Run “control userpasswords2” from Start -> Run. Select the user profile and click Properties to change group)

3. Open SteadyState, set all the restrictions. Make sure the following restrictions under “Windows Restrictions\General Restrictions” are unchecked:

Prevent access to registry editor

Prevent users from saving files  to the desktop

4. Log into the public user profile. Run TweakUI from the following folder: C:\Windows\System32\. Hide drives C & D.

5. Log off public user account and log on as administrator. Restore the public user account to “Restrict user” group. (Similar method as step 2)

6. Log on as the public user to check the result.

Please understand that as SteadyState restrictions will overwritten TweakUI settings. If there is restriction change for this user account. We have to redo step 2 -6. The user account cannot be locked either with this method.

If you have another partition which is allowed to be seen from the public users. We can also move the user profile to another partition, or only redirect the Desktop folder to another place. With these methods, we can use SteadyState to hide drive C.

Move the user profile to another partition

================

To create user profile on second partition, please refer to the SteadyState Handbook (Page 43 on PDF version)

Windows SteadyState Handbook

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=D64AF114-336C-4418-BEB7-E074E813B498&displaylang=en

Redirect the Desktop folder to another place

================

If these computers are working in a domain, we can redirect Desktop folder to a network location. Here is a related article:

Registry Settings for Folder Redirection in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/242557

If this is a workgroup environment, we have to modify registry keys to redirect the Desktop folder. The registry key can also be found in the above article. Here are the detailed steps:

--------------------

1. Click Start and then Run.

2. Type in regedit and click OK.

3. Navigate to the following location:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

4. Double click Desktop in the right panel. Change the location to another place such as D:\Desktop

5. Click OK and log off then log on to test the changes.

Here is the command to change this registry key:

Reg add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders" /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /v Desktop /d  D:\Desktop /f

Best Regards,

Friday, September 7, 2007 7:08 AM
  • When will we get Tweak UI or this capability in Vista?

I was able to delete some Malware but hard drive and CD are not in My Computer.  I can go elsewhere and create shortcut to C drive or the D drive

Saturday, July 26, 2008 7:13 PM