none
issue with copy and paste in an MS Project file RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a problem with a project 2010 file. For some reason it will not let me copy and paste tasks. It is not quite that simple however.

If for example I want to copy row 8 and I highlight the row and hit copy and then paste it on itself (ie insert the new line at the copied line) it will paste the line I assume above it. If However I want to paste row 8 in at any other line in the file it will not complete the task. The file hasa lot of custom fields and I think it has something to do with this. The file uses the entry table and these fields were not listed in its definition. I have now done this but it hasn't helped. My impression is it has something to do with either the format of the cells or the fields in the database but I cant figure out which.

Any ideas?

Mike

Monday, August 24, 2015 4:24 PM

All replies

• Mike,

First of all, what version of Project are you using and is it updated with the latest fixes? If using Project 2010 see: http://blogs.technet.com/b/projectsupport/p/msp10.aspx. If using Project 2013 see: http://blogs.technet.com/b/projectsupport/p/msp13.aspx

Assuming your installation of Project is fully updated, does this problem occur with just the one file or does it also occur with a new file?

Are you in a Project Server environment or is the file stand alone?

Let's look at those things and then go from there.

John

Monday, August 24, 2015 6:13 PM
  • John,

Hi thanks for the quick response I will look at the two links

On the version please note my question MS Project 2010. its 2010 (14.0.7154.5000) SP2MSO (14.0.7153.5000)

No idea if its fully updated. I'll check How do you do this? Cant seem to find anything on the package to do this.

The problem occurs only on this file in question. Its from a colleagues work but I built the template. It was originally  from another machine and stored on the network. As I said above there were several custom fields in it that were not in the Entry table when I opened the file. I have added these but to no avail.

Mike

Monday, August 24, 2015 9:51 PM
  • Custom fields shouldn't have any affect. However the following can:

If a filter is applied, the task may insert but not display. Make sure All Tasks filter is applied, or press ,F3>

If a Group is applied the task may not paste in a different Group. make sure Group No Group is applied.

If a Project is sorted, the paste may not work. Make sure the project is filtered by ID.

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Monday, August 24, 2015 11:24 PM
  • Mike,

Sorry for the delay, and yes I do see that you told us which version of Project you are using. That version number indicates you are fully updated with the August 2015 Public Update, so we can rule that out as having anything do do with this issue.

I see Rod has checked in with some ideas and you should certainly take a look at those. If none those items are applicable, and this only happens with the one file, then the file could be corrupt. Since you have several custom fields, Save As a copy of the file and then remove all the custom fields. Does that help? If not save the file as XML and then re-open in Project, that often will clear corruption but not always. Note that you will lose any custom settings but as I recall any custom fields will be preserved through the XML process.

Hope this helps.

John

Tuesday, August 25, 2015 2:15 AM