none
Deploy a WIM via USB stick RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Is there a simple way to achieve an OOBE deployment from a .wim image with a USB key ?

With only :

- My install.wim (syspreped in audit mode)

- A Usb key

- An Autounattended.xml file (with CopyProfile=True for OOBE).

Thursday, July 31, 2014 7:21 AM

Answers

• Yes, just use a standard Microsoft ISO, copy the contents to a bootable USB stick. Replace install.wim with your own custom wim file, and rename it to install.wim.

You want more options, use MDT and create standalone media. There are plenty tutorials and guidelines around.

Cheers!

If this post is helpful please click "Mark for answer", thanks! Kind regards

• Marked as answer by alyshu Thursday, July 31, 2014 7:46 PM
    Thursday, July 31, 2014 1:59 PM

All replies

• Yes, just use a standard Microsoft ISO, copy the contents to a bootable USB stick. Replace install.wim with your own custom wim file, and rename it to install.wim.

You want more options, use MDT and create standalone media. There are plenty tutorials and guidelines around.

Cheers!

• Marked as answer by alyshu Thursday, July 31, 2014 7:46 PM
    Thursday, July 31, 2014 1:59 PM
  • Ok thank you. I tried to replace my wim into standard microsoft iso, and i am able to install my custom wim file. It's ok.

I also try to put my Autounattend.xml at the root of my ISO, but it is not taken into account... I try Robbert Vennik's solution, but it still doesn't work. Have you any idea ?

Furthermore, with MDT, I don't know what TS to choose to perform what I want to do : to deploy my wim without any account created (OOBE).

Thursday, July 31, 2014 3:19 PM
  • Ok i'm very close now. I just want to know if it is possible to tell MDT to not create a default user ?
    Thursday, July 31, 2014 5:50 PM
  • MDT does not create any users, it just works with the administrator account. That's always there, that's also the one account you can't disable during deployment. Afterwards when you are using local accounts or domain accounts, the local admin account can be disabled.

Thursday, July 31, 2014 5:52 PM
  • Thank you,

My problem is that when deployment finishes, it auto signs in "Administrateur" session... But I want the client be able to create their own account directly after installation. How can we do that with MDT ?

Thursday, July 31, 2014 6:12 PM
  • You can force the client to do things when it is done deploying with MDT.

If you put the following line in your customsettings.ini:

FinishAction=LOGOFF (then the machine will be logged of)
    FinishAction=SHUTDOWN (then the machine will be shutdown)
    FinishAction=REBOOT (then the machine will be reboot)
    FinishAction= (then the machine will stay logged on)

If you want to create an account during deployment or afterwards, you'll need to create a vbscript that creates a user with password on the machine. This can be done with "NET USER", please see this link:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/251394

And you'll need a messagebox to query the username and query the password. Alongside that you'll need to decide if the user is added to the local administrators group or not.

It's not ideally, because normally you would use a domain active directory environment.

Lastly, executing vbscripts from MDT, can be done best by: Adding a "Run Command Line" step, in the State Restore step, right before the Imaging step, or under the Custom Tasks step.

You can call VB scripts from the "Run Command Line" step as following:

cscript.exe %SCRIPTROOT%\name_of_script.vbs

Place your scripts in the .\DeploymentShare\Scripts folder

Cheers!

Don't forget to click marked as answer!

Thursday, July 31, 2014 6:20 PM
  • I think we don't understand each other. At the end of my deployment, I want the client to see this, and only this. I'm sure I'm able to do it easily (Microsoft would have thought about an easy way to do this).

When my client enter his name etc, he logins in his session, which contains all programs I added in audit mode before syspreped & captured.

Except for now, at the end of my deployment, I have this. I'm sorry if my questions are trivial...

• Edited by alyshu Thursday, July 31, 2014 7:30 PM
    Thursday, July 31, 2014 7:26 PM