Dashboard Designer cache settings RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have some doubts about the cache settings in Dashboard Designer. If I understood correctly, Monitoring Server can cache the following different types of data:
    - Query results.
    - Rendered analytic views: HTML pages and graphics.
    - Filter data: Choices available on dashboard filters.
    - Data source metadata: Informations about dimensions, levels, hierarchies ....
    - Application objects: definitions of views, dashboards, data sources....

In Server Options of Dashboard Designer we can manage the following cache settings:
    - Cache interval in minutes
    - Length of inactive parameter cache history (in hours)
    - Frequency of parameter cache cleaning (in hours)

1) Do these settings apply on all the previous types of data?
    2) Since, when a user is looking at a dashboard through the internet, this dashboard do not connect with monitoring server web services (Instead, it accesses the database repository and connect directly to the data source, then SharePoint renders it) do these cache settings still apply?

Thanks
    Wednesday, May 21, 2008 8:28 AM

Answers

• In v1, the Cache Interval in Minutes is for “primary objects” which I think maps to what you call “Application objects: definitions of views, dashboards, data sources”.

The Inactive Parameter Cache is only for remembering user selections of filters. This is NOT a cache of all filter values.

Thus, I think the answer your second question is “Yes, both caches still apply even thought the consumer connects directly with the data source.”  

Hope this helps.

Alyson

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 4:21 PM