none
Power Query Unable to Connect to SSAS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi I am trying to connect Power Query to an SSAS Cube (Tabular). In the navigator, I expand the database, expand the folder and expand the model.  I am running Excel 64bit and PQ 2.18 64 bit. I can connect to an SQL Server and I can connect to the cube with PowerPivt.  I can not connect with Power Query.    When I expand the model I get an error saying "Object reference not set to an instance of an object".  When I peek I get the following error:

Unexpected error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    Details:
           at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Library.AnalysisServices.AnalysisServicesCubeContextProvider.<NewTabularDisplayFolders>b__1(AnalysisServicesMeasure m)
       at System.Linq.Lookup`2.Create[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source, Func`2 keySelector, Func`2 elementSelector, IEqualityComparer`1 comparer)
       at System.Linq.GroupedEnumerable`3.GetEnumerator()
       at System.Linq.Enumerable.ToDictionary[TSource,TKey,TElement](IEnumerable`1 source, Func`2 keySelector, Func`2 elementSelector, IEqualityComparer`1 comparer)
       at System.Linq.Enumerable.ToDictionary[TSource,TKey,TElement](IEnumerable`1 source, Func`2 keySelector, Func`2 elementSelector)
       at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Library.AnalysisServices.AnalysisServicesCubeContextProvider.NewTabularDisplayFolders()
       at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Library.AnalysisServices.AnalysisServicesCubeContextProvider.get_DisplayFolders()
       at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Runtime.NativeFunctionValue1`2.Invoke(Value arg0)
       at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.DebugExpression.Execute(Value frame)
       at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.FunctionInvocationExpression2.Execute(Value frame)
       at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.RecordExpression.RuntimeRecordValue.Force(Int32 index)
       at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.RecordExpression.RuntimeRecordValue.get_Item(Int32 index)
       at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Runtime.RecordValue.get_Item(String field)
       at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.RecordExpression.RuntimeRecordValue.Force(Int32 index)
       at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.RecordExpression.RuntimeRecordValue.get_Item(Int32 index)
       at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Runtime.RecordValue.get_Item(Value key)
       at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Runtime.Library.Linker.BindFunctionValue.TypedInvoke(RecordValue environment, Value section, TextValue name)
       at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Runtime.NativeFunctionValue3`4.Invoke(Value arg0, Value arg1, Value arg2)
       at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.MembersFunctionValue0.Invoke()
       at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.ListExpression.RuntimeListValue.Force(Int32 index)
       at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.ListExpression.RuntimeListValue.get_Item(Int32 index)
       at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Runtime.ListValue.get_Item(Value key)
       at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.MembersFunctionValue1.Invoke(Value arg0)
       at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.FunctionInvocationExpression2.Execute(Value frame)
       at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Expression.ExecuteCondition(Value frame)
       at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.DebugExpression.ExecuteCondition(Value frame)
       at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.IfExpression.Execute(Value frame)
       at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.MembersFunctionValue0.Invoke()
       at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Engine.Microsoft.Mashup.Engine.Interface.IEngine.Invoke(IValue function, IValue[] arguments)
       at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.SimpleDocumentEvaluator.BeginGetResult(DocumentEvaluationParameters parameters, Action`1 callback)
       at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.SimpleDocumentEvaluator.BeginGetResult(DocumentEvaluationParameters parameters, Action`1 callback)
       at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.FirewallPartition.BeginGetResult[T](Action`1 callback)
       at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.FirewallDocumentEvaluator.Evaluation`1.OnBufferComplete(Exception exception)
       at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.Firewall.BeginBufferPartitions(Action`1 callback)
       at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.FirewallDocumentEvaluator.BeginGetResultInternal[T](DocumentEvaluationParameters parameters, Action`1 callback)
       at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.RemoteDocumentEvaluator.Service.OnBeginGetPreviewValueSource(IMessageContext context, BeginGetPreviewValueSourceMessage message)
       at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.MessageHandlers.TryDispatch(IMessageContext context, Message message)
       at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.ContextMessenger.ContextMessageHandlers.TryDispatch(IMessageContext context, Message message)
       at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.MessageHandlers.Dispatch(IMessageContext context, Message message)
       at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.ContextMessenger.OnMessageWithUnknownContext(IMessageContext baseContext, MessageWithUnknownContext messageWithUnknownContext)
       at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.MessageHandlers.TryDispatch(IMessageContext context, Message message)
       at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.ContextMessenger.ContextMessageHandlers.TryDispatch(IMessageContext context, Message message)
       at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.MessageHandlers.Dispatch(IMessageContext context, Message message)
       at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.EvaluationHost.Run()
       at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.EvaluationContainer.EvaluationContainerMain.Run(String[] args)
       at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.EvaluationContainer.EvaluationContainerMain.Main(String[] args)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.RemoteDocumentEvaluator.Service.OnBeginGetPreviewValueSource(IMessageContext context, BeginGetPreviewValueSourceMessage message)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Preview.PreviewManager.<>c__DisplayClasse.<StartPreviewEvaluation>b__b(EvaluationResult2`1 result)

Tuesday, February 3, 2015 2:41 PM

Answers

• Hi,

This issue will be fixed in an upcoming release. Certain tabular models can have measures without measure groups, which wasn't considered. The specific case you hit is that when a tabular model has no measures, a default one without a measure group is added in order to allow retrieving the dimension members in certain tools.

Thanks,
    Tristan

Tuesday, February 3, 2015 5:52 PM

All replies

• All,

I found the issue.  If I add a measure to the model I can connect just fine.  If the model has no measures I can not connect to the model and get the error in the post above.  Also If I have no measures I can connect with 32 bit Power Query but not 64 bit Power Query. 

Thanks,

Tuesday, February 3, 2015 2:51 PM
  • Hi,

This issue will be fixed in an upcoming release. Certain tabular models can have measures without measure groups, which wasn't considered. The specific case you hit is that when a tabular model has no measures, a default one without a measure group is added in order to allow retrieving the dimension members in certain tools.

Thanks,
    Tristan

Tuesday, February 3, 2015 5:52 PM