Exchange 2010 SP1 Management Pack -- Content Index Troubleshooter problems RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All

anybody out there with the same issue using Exchange 2010 SP1 Management Pack?

Since Import of Exchange 2010 SP1 Management Pack, the Monitor "KHI: Troubleshoot-CI.ps1 encountered an unexpected error." shows up as error with the following description.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Description:

The troubleshooter failed with exception The troubleshooter failed with error:System.Management.Automation.CommandNotFoundException: The term 'get-mailboxdatabase' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again. at System.Management.Automation.CommandDiscovery.LookupCommandInfo(String commandName, CommandOrigin commandOrigin) at System.Management.Automation.CommandDiscovery.LookupCommandProcessor(String commandName, CommandOrigin commandOrigin, Nullable`1 useLocalScope) at System.Management.Automation.ExecutionContext.CreateCommand(String command) at System.Management.Automation.CommandNode.CreateCommandProcessor(Int32& index, ExecutionContext context) at System.Management.Automation.CommandNode.AddToPipeline(PipelineProcessor pipeline, ExecutionContext context) at System.Management.Automation.PipelineNode.Execute(Array input, Pipe outputPipe, ArrayList& resultList, ExecutionContext context) at System.Management.Automation.StatementListNode.ExecuteStatement(ParseTreeNode statement, Array input, Pipe outputPipe, ArrayList& resultList, ExecutionContext context) At C:\Program Files\System Center Operations Manager 2007\Health Service State\Monitoring Host Temporary Files 3\7824\CITSLibrary.ps1:839 char:37 + $dbs = @(get-mailboxdatabase <<<< -Server $Server).

------------------------------------------------------------------------

The term "get-mailboxdatabase" works fine on the mail server itself.

Exchange 2010 SP1 to be monitored is setup with DAG. Two MB server roles.

The monitor is not on error status for the DAG member that is hosting the active copies of the databases at the moment...

Monday, April 18, 2011 2:13 PM

Answers

• The MP installed just fine and mentioned script/monitor works from the beginning on the DAG member hosting the active copies of my two databases.

I will see if script/monitor success will "switch" when i move active DB copies to the other server. In my opinion it could be the same "issue" like with using Windows Server Backup features with "failing" backups when active/passive DB copies are mixed on backed up DAG members.

• Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Thursday, April 28, 2011 8:50 AM
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 7:20 AM

All replies

• Perhaps a long shot, but as you say it happened after importing a new version of the mp.. have you cleared the cache on the agent? stop scom agent service. delete c:\program files\system center operations manager 2007\health service state\*.* and start the scom agent service. And wait 5 minutes and see what happens.
    Bob Cornelissen - BICTT (My BICTT Blog)
    • Proposed as answer by CarlosOrtiz Tuesday, October 11, 2011 7:07 AM
    Monday, April 18, 2011 3:10 PM
  • Hmmm. There was no Ex 2010 MP in SCOM 2007 R2 infrastructure before... only "windows server 2008 r2" monitoring. Waited especially for SP1 Management Pack for Exchange 2010. I will give it a try.
    Monday, April 18, 2011 7:39 PM
  • Make sure you follow the entire mp guide that belongs to this version. It is a complicated and intelligent mp, but mostly when used according to the guides :-)
    Monday, April 18, 2011 8:36 PM
  • THe exchange 2010 MP shipped with Exchange 2010 RTM quite a many months ago.  THe most recent update includes support for their SP1 release, and addresses some of the issues that the community has been reporting.

If you are still relatively new to the concept of management packs, there are many to download and extend your environment with.  These are best downloaded to disk along withthe related MP guide - and then should be ideally configured offline and then imported into your production environment after tuning.

The exchange 2010 MP cannot be installed by direct import (e.g. via the R2 management pack direct import experience) since it requires an additional setup step, some windows QFE's to be applied, and SCOM cumulative updates to be applied before importing the management pack.  There are numerous configuration steps after the pre-requisite environment updates are done.  All of these are covered in the MP guide - none of which can be skipped and still be successful.

Microsoft Corporation
    Monday, April 18, 2011 10:54 PM
  • Exchange 2010 SP1 was installed 08/2010 and we waited monitoring with SCOM 2007 R2 until the Exchange 2010 MP for SP1 was available.

I strictly followed the "Exchange 2010 Management Pack Guide for Operations Manager 2007" from February 2011 covering "Introduction,... Getting Started,...Before you import , files to download, how to import, optional configurations and creating test mailboxes for synthetic transactions."

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 6:55 AM
  • Not sure if this is a bug or not.  The exchange team is not responding to customer inquiries around management at this time - but we'll keep trying to get them to engage.
    Microsoft Corporation
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 4:38 PM
  • The MP installed just fine and mentioned script/monitor works from the beginning on the DAG member hosting the active copies of my two databases.

I will see if script/monitor success will "switch" when i move active DB copies to the other server. In my opinion it could be the same "issue" like with using Windows Server Backup features with "failing" backups when active/passive DB copies are mixed on backed up DAG members.

• Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Thursday, April 28, 2011 8:50 AM
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 7:20 AM
  • What was the result of this DaHuhn?
    Monday, April 25, 2011 10:47 AM
  • Hi,

Since it is not activated for several days, I will mark and close this thread. If there is any update on it, please let us know.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, April 28, 2011 8:50 AM
  • i have the exact same issue on two of the servers in my 3-server client access array. one server runs the scripts with no issue. never had the exchange 2010rtm MP installed. i have flushed the health service state folder. no fix. it seems a pretty specific error: " The term 'get-mailboxdatabase' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program." and i can successfully run 'get-mailboxdatabase' manually from the exchange management shell on the same exchange servers that are throwing this error when scom tries to run it. 
    Wednesday, May 25, 2011 1:57 AM
  • Hi John, you could try setting the Path variable to include the directory where the scripts are. Perhaps it just cant find it in the default directories it is looking.
    Wednesday, May 25, 2011 5:06 AM
  • the script is running fine; its' the cmdlet 'get-mailboxdatabase' contained in the script that is throwing the error. and i would assume that cmdlet is "built-in" to the exchange management shell on my mailbox servers. which is kind of confirmed by the fact that i can successfully run "get-mailboxdatabase" manually from the command shell on the same servers that the script that calls "get-mailboxdatabase" fails, without changing any path variables or anything.
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 9:31 PM
  •  

for what it's worth: http://joetrombley.wordpress.com/

my "bad" servers were missing two registry keys for powershell for microsoft.exchange.management.powershell.support and microsoft.exchange.management.powershell.e2010.

Thursday, July 7, 2011 8:49 PM