none
Systemstate backup Windows 2003R2 Fails DPM2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

I;m trying to do a systemstate backup of a Windows 2003R2 that has the certificate authority installed, it fails with a error "Certificate Authority" has reported an error 0x800423f0. This is part of System State. The backup cannot continue. Partition C and D are backing up fine. I think I narrowed down the problem that it has something to do with rights. If I logon with a domain admin account I cannot select the system state in NTBackup (not visible). If I put that domain admin account into the Backup Operators account I can see it. I tried to add the dpm computeraccount to that same group, checked DCOM, put the dpm computeraccount into almost every local group, but not luck. I think I can resolve it by changing the service account that DPMRA runs under, the problem is that I can't start it when changing it into any other account than the local system account. I have no idea why this is not working, maby something with local security policies but I can't think of anything that's wrong....anybody any idea? maby there's a procedure on how to backup the system state of a certificate authority server with DPM 2010? 

Thank for thinking with me...

Cheerz,

Peter

• Moved by MarcReynolds Tuesday, December 7, 2010 1:55 PM (From:Data Protection Manager)
    Monday, December 6, 2010 9:47 PM

Answers

• Hi,

The problem seems to be that when systemstate component is backed up, that the Certificate Authority writer is not adding the necessary volumes to the backup set.  The error  0x800423f0 = VSS_E_WRITERERROR_INCONSISTENTSNAPSHOT: the shadow-copy set only contains only a subset of the volumes needed to correctly backup the selected components of the writer.

What you can try doing is stopping the Certificate Authority service - then see if the systemstate backup works, if so, you can modify the C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Bin\DPMSystemStateBackup.cmd to stop the Certificate Authority service before ntbackup start and re-starting the service post backup.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Saturday, December 11, 2010 1:10 AM