none
Cannot ping client and dc from router in Hyper-V RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have three virtual machines (Windows 10, Windows Server 2016 as a DC, Windows Server 2016 as a Router) in Hyper-V server. My problem is that I cannot ping the client and dc from the router and vice versa. Here are my Hyper-V settings:

I've turned off the firewalls for all VMs.

Thanks for your answers

Sunday, April 14, 2019 5:56 PM

All replies

• Your VM is not communicating to your physical router. Because they are connected on the Private network on your physical server. You will need to enable virtual LAN identification on 2nd picture. 

Alternatively, install another NIC, patch it to the network and according to first picture, click External Network and choose the NIC (installed)

Sunday, April 14, 2019 6:14 PM
  • You can follow along here to build out a RRAS router.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/how10169/configuring-windows-server-2012-r2-as-a-router?lang=en

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Sunday, April 14, 2019 6:47 PM
  • All virtual machines are in one VLAN. The router is a virtual machine that is running in the Hyper-V.
    Sunday, April 14, 2019 6:54 PM
  • Alright, all the VMs running and based on the Router, give an IP Address on the router and then amend the gateway IP address to the router's IP for each VM.

But you have to do this after you completed with the documentation Dave has given you. 

Let me know if any news! 

Sunday, April 14, 2019 7:55 PM
  • Hi,
    Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, April 15, 2019 3:10 AM
  • Hi,

All are VMs and are connected to the same vswitch. vSwitch that is created in the virtual layer is just a Layer2 switch. So it will not work with this current configuration.

Like the physical network, assign an IP address on the router and make that IP as a gateway for the VMs. Since this is a private vswitch you can not have multiple vLANs working with that single router because that router uses the same virtual port in the vswitch which cant be made as trunk port

Regards,
    Bala N

Tuesday, April 16, 2019 5:22 PM