Using Win7-32bit with WLM (Windows Live Mail) and restricting access to specific options within WLM for a specific Windows user account via GPEDIT. Possible? RRS feed

• Question

• Been asked to post this here from WindowsLiveHelp site. Hope someone has some ideas they could share? Cheers, Al :

Been searching for a while, hope this isn't hidden on another forum, please let me know if so.

We're about to order 700 machines from Dell @ work and I'm setting up the original machine that they'll duplicate (Image) them from. We'll be using Windows7Pro32-bit and using IE8. I need to work out how to restrict access to hotmail live sign-in for Windows Live Mail? I'd be using GPEDIT.MSC for this part, as the templates supplied already work very well for Control Panel and Internet Explorer restrictions. Is this possible for Windows Live? Is there another template I should look for to get this to work? Otherwise I presume I'll have to manually look at the registry?

Would be nice to restrict things like WLM tools menus etc as well.

Thanks in advance for any help. Al.

Friday, March 19, 2010 10:10 AM

Answers

• Hi,

WLM not supports Group Policy...for Group Policy you must use Outlook...

• Marked as answer by Novak Wu Tuesday, April 6, 2010 2:20 AM
    Monday, March 22, 2010 8:25 AM
  • Hi,

Based on my research and test, I would like to answer you that Windows Live Mail cannot restrict access to hotmail sign-in via Group Policy or Registry. This is by design.

As Janata was mentioned, you have to use Outlook instead.

Thanks,

Novak

Thursday, March 25, 2010 7:41 AM

All replies

• Hi,

WLM not supports Group Policy...for Group Policy you must use Outlook...

Monday, March 22, 2010 8:25 AM
  • That's a shame. Wonder if RegEdit is any use for WLM ?
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 12:35 PM
  • Hi,

Based on my research and test, I would like to answer you that Windows Live Mail cannot restrict access to hotmail sign-in via Group Policy or Registry. This is by design.

As Janata was mentioned, you have to use Outlook instead.

Thanks,

Novak

Thursday, March 25, 2010 7:41 AM