none
Latest Windows Defender on Windows 10 is causing problems with Keyboard Express, Macro Express and Macro Express Pro macros. RRS feed

• Question

• The May 2016 update to Windows Defender on Windows 10 causes a delay before Keyboard Express, Macro Express and Macro Express Pro macros run. If a macro is activated with Alt+9, the macro pauses for 1 to 6 seconds after pressing Alt+9. Turning off Real Time Protection in Windows Defender fixes the problem and the macro runs instantly.

Computers running Windows 10 with another security program do not exhibit this problem.

Several customers reported this problem over the weekend and we confirmed it on our test systems.

Tuesday, May 24, 2016 12:06 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

I appreciate your test and conclusion.

At first, please make sure the system build is 10586.318 and you run the latest Macro Express and Macro Express Pro macros, if you use the latest system and Macro, you could feed back current condition by built-in Feedback app to Microsoft.

Of course, I also will feed back your condition to my leader. In addition, smart as you, should know that when we install other security software on Windows 10, Windows Defender will be turned off automatically.

Thanks for understanding.

Regards

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, May 25, 2016 7:34 AM
  • I am not sure what you mean by "system build is 10586.318". Does this refer to Windows 10 or to Windows Defender?

On my test VM I am running
    Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview
    Build 14342.rs1_release.1060506-1708

Windows Defender on this system says:
    Antimalware Client Version: 4.10.14342.1000
    Engine Version: 1.1.12804.0
    Antivirus definition: 1.221.699.0
    Antispyware definition: 1.221.699.0
    Network Inspection System Engine Version: 2.1.12706.0
    Network Inspection System Definition Version: 116.3.0.0

I am using the latest versions Keyboard Express, Macro Express and Macro Express Pro. I tried an earlier version of Macro Express Pro and it worked without the delays. the later version of Macro Express Pro contains a newer SHA2 code signing certificate.

Thursday, May 26, 2016 6:08 PM
  • I am not sure where to "feed back current condition by built-in Feedback app to Microsoft." Could you explain how to do this?
    Thursday, May 26, 2016 6:13 PM
  • Adding the Macro Express Pro process macexp.exe to the Windows Defender exclusion list eliminates the delay.
    Thursday, May 26, 2016 6:50 PM
  • You could type "winver" in search box to see current Windows version.

About built-in feedback app, type "feedback" in search box, like this picture.

Regards

Monday, May 30, 2016 1:21 AM
  • Very well, glad to hear the delay has been eliminated, maybe your method can help other users in forum, thanks for sharing. 

Please mark your reply to close this case.

Monday, May 30, 2016 1:22 AM
  • Adding a program's exe to the exception list seems like a work-around, not a solution. Whatever change to Windows Defender that was released in May 2016 should be examined to see if there is a better solution that does not require adding exe files to the exception list.

Tuesday, May 31, 2016 9:03 PM