none
DPM2016 Disks Show under Storage Pool but not when trying to set up PG RRS feed

• Question

• I've built a new physical box running Windows Server 2016 with Data Protection Manager 2016.

For data storage I have four 3.7TB disks as JBOD.  The four disks each show up in Management > Disk Storage.  Each shows as 100% unused with a green tick next to 'Status DPM Storage'

When I try to create my new protection group I get 'No disk storage resources available' under available target disk storage.

I thought I might be doing something wrong with the disks before adding them to the storage pool.  I removed them and have tried changing them to Simple Volumes, without formatting but get the same issue.

Is this an issue with MBS needing to be set up with Virtual Disks?  If so, would I need to virtualize the server, wipe the physical box and set it up to host the virtual version of the backup server?

I just want to be able to connect the drives I have the in actual box to the software sitting on the box.  :0/

Thank you.

Wednesday, January 10, 2018 3:34 PM

Answers

• house keeping - closing old post.

DPM 2016 running on Windows 2016 can only use modern backup storage which are volumes not disks added to the storage pool.  Remove the disks, convert them back to BASIC, then create volume(s) and add the volume(s) to the storage pool.  DPM will format them Refs and then you can add protection.

Regards
    Mike Jacquet

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, January 10, 2020 9:39 PM