none
Modern library experience not showing

Question

• I'm working for a customer who'd like to leverage the modern UX for document libraries. For unknown reasons, some sites are showing the new experience and other sites are showing the normal legacy experience. The tenant is set-up to show the new experience based on the browser compability (auto mode). They have up-to-date browser, since in some libraries the experience is showing. But as said, for other libraries it doesn't work and I can't get it to work either. 

So what I am wondering is which things are influencing the way a library is being shown in either legacy mode or modern mode. That way I might be able to find out why it's persisting these libraries to show the old experience instead of the new. 

Friday, April 14, 2017 10:39 AM

Answers

• Hi J Siegumnd,

Please check if the SharePoint Server Publishing Infrastructure site collection feature and SharePoint Server Publishing site feature are activated in the site. The publishing features are related to the customizations, and the New experience is not supported in customized libraries as Paul mentioned.

If the publishing features are activated, the SharePoint Online experience would return to the classic experience automatically. In this situation, we need to check the New Experience option for each library to use the new experience.

Best Regards,

Linda Zhang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, April 17, 2017 11:00 AM

All replies

• There are certain features that only work in the classic view of a library.  So if a library has been customized in a way that uses one of those features then the library view will automatically shift back to the classic view.  Here's an article talking about the features that aren't supported.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Differences-between-classic-and-new-experiences-for-lists-and-document-libraries-30e1aab0-a5cc-4363-b7f2-09e2ae07d4dc?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    Principal Architect: Blue Chip Consulting Group
    Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

Friday, April 14, 2017 11:56 AM
  • These are just plain old ordinary out of the box libraries, no customizations at all apart from maybe a view or something like that. The things listed in that articles most certainly do not apply. 
    Friday, April 14, 2017 1:02 PM
  • What is the setting for Experience Options under Advanced Settings of the list? Auto or new?

If it's auto, try setting it to new, clearing the browser's cache/opening in a different browser and see if it helps.

Another possibility was something that I experienced in few tenants about 2 weeks ago. Every newly created list was in classic view, even when the Experience was set to modern or auto. It was a brief issue that I can no longer reproduce, but if you feel you might be experiencing something similar, you should open a Service Request and report it to MS. 

Monday, April 17, 2017 9:43 AM
  • Hi J Siegumnd,

Please check if the SharePoint Server Publishing Infrastructure site collection feature and SharePoint Server Publishing site feature are activated in the site. The publishing features are related to the customizations, and the New experience is not supported in customized libraries as Paul mentioned.

If the publishing features are activated, the SharePoint Online experience would return to the classic experience automatically. In this situation, we need to check the New Experience option for each library to use the new experience.

Best Regards,

Linda Zhang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, April 17, 2017 11:00 AM
  • Although I find it very strange that enabling an out of the box feature is regarded as being a "customization", this appears to be the case indeed. I had activated the publishing infrastructure feature in order to use managed metadata navigation. By forcing the new experience on the libraries it does render in the correct way now. Thanks! 
    Tuesday, April 18, 2017 6:03 PM