none
Set NTFS Permission on multiple folders? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there guys,

I'm a bit new to Powershell and i'm trying to complete a simple script for a project I'm working on. I get it working 95% of the way but it just not returning the results. I have loaded the NTFSSECURITY Module and I'm using Add-NTFSACCESS to set Deny delete on multiple folders using the paths stored in a .csv file. See below. 

Script

$itempath = import-csv "C:\dox\folderpath.csv"

foreach ($items in  $itempath) {
    Add-NTFSAccess  -path $itempath -AccessRights Delete -Account "domain\username"  -AccessType Deny -AppliesTo ThisFolderOnly
    }

This is the error i get 

Add-NTFSAccess : Unable to find the specified file.

Please help

• Edited by AlexxusP Wednesday, December 14, 2016 4:54 PM
    • Changed type AlexxusP Wednesday, December 14, 2016 4:54 PM
    Friday, December 2, 2016 5:11 PM

Answers

• Hi Alex,

You need to change variable "$itempath" >>>>"$items", and hopefully it contains the correct value...

Add-NTFSAccess  -path $items -AccessRights Delete -Account "domain\username"  -AccessType Deny -AppliesTo ThisFolderOnly
    }

Also have a look here, I think will help you on your issue:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/heyscriptingguy/2014/11/22/weekend-scripter-use-powershell-to-get-add-and-remove-ntfs-permissions/

Cheers,

Sok.

Wednesday, December 14, 2016 5:24 PM

All replies

• Edit this:
    Add-NTFSAccess -path $items

If the CSV file header is Path:

CSV File Ex:
    Path
    D:\File1
    D:\File2
    D:\File3

Then it should be like this
    Add-NTFSAccess -path $items.path
    Friday, December 2, 2016 5:16 PM
  • Change type of topic to "Question" by clicking the edit on top of initial post.

\_(ツ)_/

Friday, December 2, 2016 5:41 PM
  • Thanks Vincent but as simple as this seems i just cant get it to work. 

I used this script instead, no CSV....works perfectly.

$fullpath = Get-ChildItem  "\\Directory_Path\" -Directory | % { $_.FullName}
    Add-NTFSAccess -AccessRights Delete -Account domain\username -Path $fullpath -AccessType Deny -AppliesTo ThisFolderOnly  

Wednesday, December 14, 2016 4:49 PM
  • Hi Alex,

You need to change variable "$itempath" >>>>"$items", and hopefully it contains the correct value...

Add-NTFSAccess  -path $items -AccessRights Delete -Account "domain\username"  -AccessType Deny -AppliesTo ThisFolderOnly
    }

Also have a look here, I think will help you on your issue:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/heyscriptingguy/2014/11/22/weekend-scripter-use-powershell-to-get-add-and-remove-ntfs-permissions/

Cheers,

Sok.

Wednesday, December 14, 2016 5:24 PM
  • Sokratissz Has it yo have the variables wrong I would suggest chaging $itemPath to $ItemPaths and $Items to $Item it may make more sence. also verify that the Paths are getting populated proterly by running the first line from the powershell prompt, you should then have a variable $Item that contains a list of Paths, it it doesn't you'll have trouble.
    Wednesday, December 14, 2016 5:44 PM