none
Exchange 2007 Database restore RRS feed

• Question

• We are in a very critical situation.

One of the volumes on our server crashed & we have lost one Exchange 2007 Database.

We are currently restoring the DB from our backup. However, we like to know

1. will all the mailboxes on this DB be recovered as well, once the recovery process is complete.

2. If not, how can we recover the mailboxes as well, as we do not have a backup of all the mailboxes.

also

3. do we have to follow any steps to mount the database after doing the recovery.

Thank You for all your help

philip

• Moved by Nina Ruchirat Friday, October 26, 2012 9:42 PM Not a 2013 question (From:Exchange Server 2013 - General Discussion)
    Thursday, October 25, 2012 2:43 AM

Answers

• = I can't Really comment about what the logs really are even before getting to know the procedure you have used to restore the DB.

= You may try eseutil /ml "Logfile.Log" and check for the Lgeneration Value and the Generation date and check if that log was generated after the full backup or while the full backup was initiated.

= If you would have restored the DB directly to production location then the existing production location would have been overwritten by the Set of logs/EDB which will be in the Backup Media.

= In case if we got a new storage post the old storage Failure then these are the logs that are restored from backup and as the DB is in clean shutdown state they won't be required as they are already replayed to the DB after the Restore is completed.

= Also , in case if these were the logs which are created after the Last Full backup then we won't be able to replay the same to this DB as this database is in Clean shutdown state.

= in case if we have to replaying the logs(after making sure that these are the logs generated after the last full backup) then, we may have to restore the DB to RSG and restore the DB to RSG after making sure that the backup software is not going to commit the logs automatically. in this case we can perform Hard Recovery with eseutil /CC if backup software generates a Restore.Env File and if that is not the case then we have to perform soft recovery using Eseutil /r. Syntax and procedure is available on the links below:

Performing Soft recovery : http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb123479(EXCHG.80).aspx

Performing a Hard Recovery : http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa997899(EXCHG.80).aspx

After we are able to replay the old logs we can perform pre-merge tasks on RSG and merge Data or if you may want to do dial-tone you may do so, but i would say best is to perform pre-merge tasks and merge data between RSG & production.

Exchangeexperts.in ~ ( Exchange | 2003/2007/2010/E15(2013)) ~Mark this if Helpful~ This Information is provided "AS IS" and confers no Rights!!

• Proposed as answer by PK M Thursday, October 25, 2012 3:09 PM
    • Edited by PK M Thursday, October 25, 2012 4:54 PM added info about Merge From RSG to production
    • Marked as answer by sphilip14 Sunday, October 28, 2012 8:41 AM
    Thursday, October 25, 2012 3:07 PM

All replies

• For Question 1:

1. All the mailbox Data & mailboxes available at the time of backup will be available.

2. In case if you have logs that are generated after the last backup, we can replay the logs to the Database whic is restored from backup.

2. In case if we don't have logs then to recover the emails which is arrived after the last full backup, the only option that we have is to Export PST's in case if the users have their profiles configured in cached mode.

For Question 2:

- If you are restoring from Database backup then we will not be missing any mailboxes.

- In case if you have used Brick-Level/Granular Backup where you only backed up few mailboxes then we will miss those data which is not backed up. I guess you would have taken Online Backup for your Databases?

For Question 3:

- If the Volume that is crashed have logs/DB both then we have to compromise with the data which is Available Till the Last backup if the users profiles are not configured in CachedMode. If Users have their Profiles configured in Cached Mode we can Export PST's and later import the same.

- In case if New logs after the backup was taken are available we should not let the backup software to automatically replay the logs as we won't be able to replay the logs as the Backup software will bring the DB to clean shutdown state by Repalying the logs automatically.

- We can Use Recovery Storage Group to restore from backup and then later decide on how to go about the recovery process in case if you don't want to restore the Database to the production location/(or)/If the Volume is still unavailable.

- After the restore if the Volume is still unavailable we can associate the EDB file Restored/Logs Location/Chk Location from the Adsiedit.

Refer to the links below for more informaton:

http://smtpport25.wordpress.com/2009/05/07/working-with-recovery-storage-group-in-exchange-2007-using-powershell-and-microsoft-exchange-troubleshooting-assiatance/

http://www.petri.co.il/using_rsg_in_exchange_2007.htm

http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Working-Recovery-Storage-Groups-Exchange-2007.html

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124039%28v=exchg.80%29.aspx

Understanding RSG

How to Recover a Mailbox by Using a Recovery Storage Group

Exchangeexperts.in ~ ( Exchange | 2003/2007/2010/E15(2013)) ~Mark this if Helpful~ This Information is provided "AS IS" and confers no Rights!!

Thursday, October 25, 2012 10:06 AM
  • Good info from MPK and in short if your backup is good then once the database is recovered you should be in a good place to continue, however if by chance you run into an error and the information posted from MPK does not lead to a resolution please post back with any errors you are receiving and we will be happy to assist

Troy Werelius
    www.Lucid8.com
    Search, Recover, & Extract Mailboxes, Folders, & Email Items from Offline EDB's and Live Exchange Servers or Import/Migrate direct from Offline EDB to Any Production Exchange Server, even cross version i.e. 2003 --> 2007 --> 2010 with Lucid8's DigiScope

Thursday, October 25, 2012 11:29 AM
  • Yes we have a full backup of the store from last evening 7pm, we are currently restoring the DB. there are new log files that needs to be replayed.

How do I replay the new log files after restoring the DB. kindly help me with this.

Thursday, October 25, 2012 12:46 PM
  • If you have the logs in same location as usual then your backup software will restore the EDB along with any logs that were uncommitted at that time to their original location.  Then as long as all the logs are in the same place as before on mount of the DB all the logs will get played into the DB.

Troy Werelius
    www.Lucid8.com
    Search, Recover, & Extract Mailboxes, Folders, & Email Items from Offline EDB's and Live Exchange Servers or Import/Migrate direct from Offline EDB to Any Production Exchange Server, even cross version i.e. 2003 --> 2007 --> 2010 with Lucid8's DigiScope

Thursday, October 25, 2012 12:49 PM
  • Yes the log files are still in the same location, its usual location. The restore is almost complete. I will update you as soon as the store is mounted & everything gets back to normal.
    Thursday, October 25, 2012 1:03 PM
  • Completed the restore but got the below message while mounting the DB

--------------------------------------------------------
    Microsoft Exchange Error
    Failed to mount database 'SG6-AllUsersGroup'.

SG6-AllUsersGroup
    Failed
    Error:
    Exchange is unable to mount the database that you specified. Specified database: EXCGSERVER\SG6-AllUsersGroup\SG6-AllUsersGroup; Error code: MapiExceptionJetErrorConsistentTimeMismatch: Unable to mount database. (hr=0x80004005, ec=-551)

OK

Thursday, October 25, 2012 2:08 PM
  • I have one more question!

- What is the backup software?

-  Did we select any option similar to Automatically Commit Logs after Restore on the Backup Software?

Run the Eseutil /mh "Edb file path\edbfile.edb" and check for the Entries below from the output:

State:

Logs Required

State will normally be (Dirty Shutdown/Clean Shutdown)

Logs Required will be some number if DB is in dirty shutdown state & 0X0 if DB is in clean shutdown state.

You may refer to the link below:

Database Recovery - Eseutil Commands

Thursday, October 25, 2012 2:26 PM
  • This is what i got after running the above command

C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\Bin>Eseutil /mh "N:\Exchange Server\M
    ailbox\SG6-AllUsersGroup.edb"

Extensible Storage Engine Utilities for Microsoft(R) Exchange Server
    Version 08.02
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Initiating FILE DUMP mode...
             Database: N:\Exchange Server\Mailbox\SG6-AllUsersGroup.edb

File Type: Database
       Format ulMagic: 0x89abcdef
       Engine ulMagic: 0x89abcdef
     Format ulVersion: 0x620,12
     Engine ulVersion: 0x620,12
    Created ulVersion: 0x620,12
         DB Signature: Create time:06/04/2011 01:25:04 Rand:615226 Computer:
             cbDbPage: 8192
               dbtime: 924385310 (0x3719001e)
                State: Clean Shutdown
         Log Required: 0-0 (0x0-0x0)
        Log Committed: 0-0 (0x0-0x0)
       Streaming File: No
             Shadowed: Yes
           Last Objid: 155950
         Scrub Dbtime: 0 (0x0)
           Scrub Date: 00/00/1900 00:00:00
         Repair Count: 0
          Repair Date: 00/00/1900 00:00:00
     Old Repair Count: 0
      Last Consistent: (0x91044,8,1F)  10/25/2012 18:09:00
          Last Attach: (0x90580,9,86)  10/24/2012 09:36:56
          Last Detach: (0x91044,8,1F)  10/25/2012 18:09:00
                 Dbid: 1
        Log Signature: Create time:06/04/2011 01:25:04 Rand:624034 Computer:
           OS Version: (6.0.6002 SP 2 NLS 500100.50100)

Previous Full Backup:
            Log Gen: 0-0 (0x0-0x0)
               Mark: (0x0,0,0)
               Mark: 00/00/1900 00:00:00

Previous Incremental Backup:

Previous Copy Backup:

Previous Differential Backup:

Current Full Backup:

Current Shadow copy backup:

cpgUpgrade55Format: 0
        cpgUpgradeFreePages: 0
    cpgUpgradeSpaceMapPages: 0

ECC Fix Success Count: none
       Old ECC Fix Success Count: none
             ECC Fix Error Count: none
         Old ECC Fix Error Count: none
        Bad Checksum Error Count: none
    Old bad Checksum Error Count: none

Operation completed successfully in 0.610 seconds.

C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\Bin>

Thursday, October 25, 2012 2:35 PM
  • This DB is in clean shutdown state:

Move the exising .log/chk/jrs files to a different location and select the option "This Database Can be Overwritten By a Restore" which will be available on the Database properties and mount it.

It should mount!

Thursday, October 25, 2012 2:43 PM
  • I did this & successfully mounted the DB. Thanks a Million!

However, what about the logs that were moved, these logs were created after my last full backups, do I lose the mail/info from these log files? How do I replay them to keep my DB to its last complete consistent state.

We use Commvault Simpana for backing up.

Thursday, October 25, 2012 2:48 PM
  • = I can't Really comment about what the logs really are even before getting to know the procedure you have used to restore the DB.

= You may try eseutil /ml "Logfile.Log" and check for the Lgeneration Value and the Generation date and check if that log was generated after the full backup or while the full backup was initiated.

= If you would have restored the DB directly to production location then the existing production location would have been overwritten by the Set of logs/EDB which will be in the Backup Media.

= In case if we got a new storage post the old storage Failure then these are the logs that are restored from backup and as the DB is in clean shutdown state they won't be required as they are already replayed to the DB after the Restore is completed.

= Also , in case if these were the logs which are created after the Last Full backup then we won't be able to replay the same to this DB as this database is in Clean shutdown state.

= in case if we have to replaying the logs(after making sure that these are the logs generated after the last full backup) then, we may have to restore the DB to RSG and restore the DB to RSG after making sure that the backup software is not going to commit the logs automatically. in this case we can perform Hard Recovery with eseutil /CC if backup software generates a Restore.Env File and if that is not the case then we have to perform soft recovery using Eseutil /r. Syntax and procedure is available on the links below:

Performing Soft recovery : http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb123479(EXCHG.80).aspx

Performing a Hard Recovery : http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa997899(EXCHG.80).aspx

After we are able to replay the old logs we can perform pre-merge tasks on RSG and merge Data or if you may want to do dial-tone you may do so, but i would say best is to perform pre-merge tasks and merge data between RSG & production.

• Edited by PK M Thursday, October 25, 2012 4:54 PM added info about Merge From RSG to production
    • Marked as answer by sphilip14 Sunday, October 28, 2012 8:41 AM
    Thursday, October 25, 2012 3:07 PM
  • We are currently on Exchange 2007 SP1 version 8.2 build 176.2. I know all of the comments i get for this, however, i got the exchange in this state & we were in no position to update the exchage server because

1.we never had "any" backups of the exchange box.

2.all roles are in one box which is a virtual machine on vmware with 2 virtual processors & a 8GB ram, allocated.

3. we have our front end as symantec cloud where all incoming mails & outgoing mails go through.

4. we have 1750 mailbox users

5. 6 storage groups with 1 db in each storage group

6. the breakdown of db size & users per storage group are:

Database Users  Database Size

DB1  257  203GB
    DB2  76  192GB
    DB3  469  278GB
    DB4  273  268GB
    DB5  377  305GB
    DB6  285  372GB

Kindly note, the above values are based on, no archivals have been done on any of the DBs & Mailboxes.

7. 80% of the above mailboxes connect to our exchange server via POP3, this is mainly because of the internet connectivity of their location is very poor & keeps dropping. Most importantly, its a practise the users are so used to & hence we cannot change this.

This is how I got this Exchange 2007 Box.

Now,

We have the commvault simpana 9,

1. We are running full backups of each DB on a weekly basis, with a Incremental every other day. with the DB size, it takes almost 8 to 12 hours to run a full backup of a DB.

We are now scheduled for an archival of each DB, which will help us make the offline Defragmentation faster and also free up all the white space after the archival, making our backup window smaller.

Also, we have been asked to move to the latest Exchange setup, 2010 or 2013.

Based on my current environment as mentioned above, which is the best way forward:

1. Exchange 2010 or Exchange 2013

2. The best practises I must follow to keep the DB healthy

3. backup & archival strategy

4. do i need a client access server?

5. the best practises to segregate the roles into seperate boxes?

6. do i need a LCR, CCR or a SCR?

7. ideal, best practise DB size & user count for each storage group/ db?

Please help me with your expertise.

cheers

Sunday, October 28, 2012 10:21 AM