Windows 7 Starter taking a long time to boot RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I'll post all the info I can about my issue.  I'm currently working on an HP Mini 210-1010NR Netbook for a friend, who uses it for school.  A week ago the netbook started to take upwards of 10 minutes to login, and once logged in the desktop would display but nothing could be clicked and the waiting cursor would never stop, or not within 20 minutes of waiting.  I system restored the machine back through restore points back to when it was first set up.

Now when the machine is started, the boot takes a little longer than usual (but nothing extreme), but the login takes 10 - 15 mintues.  During the login the screen is black with the cursor being displayed.  I tried ctrl+alt+del to see if that would interrupt and it would not.  A little after, an error came up saying that ctrl+alt+del did not work, and that if the problem continues, I should restart and try again.  I closed that and tried ctrl+alt+esc, which took a few minutes to come up.  When it did, I noticed that the processor was at 100%, but there was nothing yet in the process list besides the taskmgr.  Shortly after looking at that, the desktop loaded and I was able to use the machine.

The harddrive does not have much on it, and it does not have much extra installed other than the HP software and Office for notes.  I ran CCleaner and ATFCleaner from a thumb drive and they cleaned out 14MB of temp files, but that doesn't seem like enough to cause this.  I also ran a system scan of HijackThis to see if anything out of the ordinary was there, but nothing unusual was in the report.

As I've said, I restored the machine back to it's original setup and  I've tried the Windows Startup Recovery, which reported that everything was ok.

What should I do?

Thursday, March 31, 2011 2:10 PM

All replies

• Hi,

make sure you have the service Superfetch running and next try to speed up the boot with the help of my guide [1]. This trains the advanced prefetcher in Windows 7. This increase the boot performance a lot. All other tweaking tools are useless. Only use this method with this Microsoft Toolkit.

If this doesn't speed up the boot process, follow my guide [2] to make a xboot boot trace. Create the summary XML and follow the rest of my guide to see what the values mean.

André

[1] http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=140262
    [2] http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=140247
    "A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

I'm going to leave the forum on 31th March 2011 if I don't get a Feedback about the SPAM of 2 MVPs. So if you want an answer, be fast so that I can help you before I leave the Technet forum.
    • Proposed as answer by willy_zeng Monday, April 4, 2011 7:53 AM
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 9:47 PM