• Am trying to install Vista Business to my laptop:
        Dell Inspiron 8200
        1 gig RAM
        100 GB hard drive
        ATI Radeon Mobility 9000 video card w/64 megs RAM

The upgrade advisor tells me everything should work, but that I won't be
    able to run Aero.

Doing a clean install, the first part completes -- the system reboots after
    'Installing Updates' -- after the reboot, 'Completing Installation' runs for
    a minute or so, then the system hangs. Keyboard is locked, hard drive
    activity stops and the only way out of it is to hold the power button until
    the device shuts off. Powering back on brings up an error that the
    installation was terminated and needs to be started over.

Have tried about 10 times so far, letting it run up to an hour before
    assuming it has locked up. MS Support said a clean install should be
    finalizing within 40 minutes. Reading through the posts here I found
    reference to removing the DVD before the reboot, which I tried but this
    didn't help. Microsoft support says to contact Dell, Dell support says to
    contact Microsoft :( Has anyone run into this? From what I've been able to
    find in this newsgroup, the video drivers are being installed after the
    first reboot (I think)...? Am at a loss as to what, if anything, to try
    next -- any help would be >>>much<<< appreciated!!!! Thanks!!!!
    Thursday, February 1, 2007 8:55 PM

Answers

•  Hi Benjimen,

For starters, the vista installation should remain in the drive until instalatin is complete. Did you try phone support. For contact information, go to start menu,programs, Dell folder, and launch the phone support link. Buy talking in person, you can explain your delima. Also, the dell product updates page offers help in upgrading to vista os. http://support.dell.com

Thursday, February 1, 2007 9:14 PM
  • wow, with your attitude, it's shocking that you actually get people trying to help at all.
    Thursday, February 1, 2007 9:50 PM
  • Ben I think he was actually calling you one.

Everyone is adding information to this thread yet you seem to think that unless someone has

The Same Laptop

then surely the problem couldn't exist on something which is similar. You come across as a rude person who had to ask on a forum because you must have pissed off your other friends a long time ago.

I suggest you don't post here again because I really think after reading your replies nobody will want to help you. I hope you don't get your problem solved and maybe the person who you can blame for why it doesn't work is you. Your obviously not capable of just saying "thanks for the reply although I use blah blah, thanks" not "eomg can't you like read? I have a laptop and your on a desktop moron!".

The only person who can't read is you. Because if you could you would have realised you come across as a complete moron who has the social skills of a dung beetle (who don't have many friends).

Hope you drop your laptop and some dog pees on your vista disk!
    Saturday, February 3, 2007 11:10 AM

All replies

•  Hi Benjimen,

For starters, the vista installation should remain in the drive until instalatin is complete. Did you try phone support. For contact information, go to start menu,programs, Dell folder, and launch the phone support link. Buy talking in person, you can explain your delima. Also, the dell product updates page offers help in upgrading to vista os. http://support.dell.com

Thursday, February 1, 2007 9:14 PM
  • During one of the attempts, I tried removing the disc -- left it in for all the others, as I mentioned, it had no effect.

I spoke with both Dell and MS Support, as stated in my post -- thanks for the redundancy though :)

Thursday, February 1, 2007 9:21 PM
  • Sounds just like my issue (http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1179176&SiteID=17) except my computer actually powers down.  Hitting the power button just starts the computer up again, where I have to go back to old version (XP).
    Thursday, February 1, 2007 9:23 PM
  • Actually, it doesn't sound very similar to yours.  Not being able to install Vista appears to be the only similarity.  Mine is a clean install on a blank hard drive, so there isn't a 'going back to old version' scenario.  My laptop doesn't power off, it hangs -- and not on the black screen, it gets one screen past that.  Thanks for your interest though.
    Thursday, February 1, 2007 9:31 PM
  •  Hi,

Additional hard disk space may be required on dell laptop. Please see information on this post

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=12055

Thursday, February 1, 2007 9:41 PM
  • Do you not read posts before you respond?  100 gb, as mentioned in my post, should about cover things.
    Thursday, February 1, 2007 9:47 PM
  • wow, with your attitude, it's shocking that you actually get people trying to help at all.
    Thursday, February 1, 2007 9:50 PM
  • Sorry if that's what comes across, but, as of yet no helpful information has been posted.  The only replies so far appear to be from users who haven't actually read my post, yours included.  Not sure why responses like yours and the others would be offered -- but no need to be defensive -- would make more sense not to respond if you haven't applicable information, or you have just read the topic heading, but not the actual post.
    Thursday, February 1, 2007 10:05 PM
  •  Hi Benjimen,

I have a dell laptop, and have been considering the upgrade also, so, i have read the post and other info available. So, I am not totally in the dark about this topic. I was only trying to help. Good luck.

Thursday, February 1, 2007 11:23 PM
  • Are you upgrading the >same< dell laptop?  Is it using the same graphics card?  Same amount of RAM?  Are doing a clean install, or the upgrade?  Would love some applicable information.
    Thursday, February 1, 2007 11:32 PM
  •  Hi,

I have a Dell Inspirion MEO51, intel (R) pentium (R) M processor 1,70GHz 504 MB of Ram,

Friday, February 2, 2007 1:03 AM
  • So, other than the brand name, you're system has nothing in common with mine, and you've not yet attempted the installation -- are you just trying to increase your post-count? 

Thanks for your interest, but it appears you have nothing of value to contribute to this topic -- should you run into something useful, please let us know.

Friday, February 2, 2007 8:59 AM
  •  Benjimen wrote:
    Sorry if that's what comes across, but, as of yet no helpful information has been posted.  The only replies so far appear to be from users who haven't actually read my post, yours included.  Not sure why responses like yours and the others would be offered -- but no need to be defensive -- would make more sense not to respond if you haven't applicable information, or you have just read the topic heading, but not the actual post.

I read the topic post, even beyond the heading.  I believe it's you who have the severe attitude problem, considering you are looking for help from others.

My situation was much more similar then you would care to believe, and in fact I have found my answer and completed the install.  You seem to want someone who has your exact situation, including hardware specs to the letter, which is insane.  But far be it from me to respond further since I have no "applicable information".

Friday, February 2, 2007 2:30 PM
  • mine hangs at exactly the same point 75% of the time! (tried installing around 20 times now)

I've posted here:
    http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1182257&SiteID=17

I've also posted on a few other forums on the net and no one's been able to help as yet, I've now been without a PC since Tuesday morning!

After reading these and other forums I can see that some other people are having it freeze at EXACTLY the same point as me & you, and there seems to be no answer to why!
    Friday, February 2, 2007 2:41 PM
  • ...and yet another post from you with no relevance.  Thanks for stopping by to let everyone know you're not going to post anymore :)
    Friday, February 2, 2007 5:00 PM
  • I read your topic, not quite 'exactly the same'.  You're upgrading a PC as opposed to a laptop and are getting a little further along than me -- I never make it to the screen where you set up a username.  I also do not have multiple partitions as it's a new hard drive, though I did at one point try installing XP to the drive (to make sure it wasn't defective), activating XP, and then doing the upgrade install.  It hangs at the same point that way as well.  Your first scenario is somewhat similar, except you're getting through a couple reboots, my freezing is happening after the 1st reboot.
    Friday, February 2, 2007 5:09 PM
  • simply remove your monitor cable during install
    check the hd lamp and youll see when its stops working.
    put in the cable and youre done, this simple thing really works its sounds stupid i know
    Friday, February 2, 2007 5:24 PM
  • Maybe that will help the other guy out, he has a PC -- not using a monitor cable with my laptop  
    Friday, February 2, 2007 5:30 PM
  • you can read about how to do with monitor on the laptops, google it and see
    Friday, February 2, 2007 5:38 PM
  •  Benjimen wrote:
    Read your topic, not quite 'exactly the same'.  You're upgrading a PC as opposed to a laptop and are getting a little further along than me -- I never make it to the screen where you set up a username.  I also do not have multiple partitions as it's a new hard drive, though I did at one point try installing XP to the drive (to make sure it wasn't defective), activating XP, and then doing the upgrade install.  It hangs at the same point that way as well.  Your first scenario is somewhat similar, except you're getting through a couple reboots, my freezing is happening after the 1st reboot.
    I never said it was the same, I've only got to the username screen once, the majority of the time I get to "exactly the same point" as you

I can see why people are saying your attitude stinks, you don't seem to want to accept any help from anyone that's posted and you're not even thankful to those that reply
    Friday, February 2, 2007 5:42 PM
  • Can you please share your solution.  I have been having the same problem and spent 6 hours on line with technical support yesterday trying to figure it out.  Any solution would be helpful...appreciate the help in advance

Zax
    Friday, February 2, 2007 6:31 PM
  • Check his topic about this: http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1179176&SiteID=17

I'm sure he must've posted his solution there.

Friday, February 2, 2007 7:03 PM
  •  Tonybobfist wrote:
    you can read about how to do with monitor on the laptops, google it and see

...and this is important because.....?

Friday, February 2, 2007 7:05 PM
  •  Benjimen wrote:

Tonybobfist wrote:
    you can read about how to do with monitor on the laptops, google it and see

...and this is important because.....?

F**K me, your attitude is terrible, people are trying to help you!

read the couple of posts above, including your response, then think why it's important. People should just ignore you from now on if you're going to be such an arsehole
    Friday, February 2, 2007 7:55 PM
  • im just trying to help
    i know how its feel to buy a product and it dosent work
    the guys with laptops having more trouble i know and its suck.
    We are working on a solution on this.

Tony

Friday, February 2, 2007 9:18 PM
  •  Hi Benjimen,

For starters, no one kicked the bucked, and left you boss.

Second, there may be some out there who could help if you come down off your high-horse.

And as for me, I will not continue anymore on this thread because of you.

And last, this is a family forum, with a friendly atmosphere. You should keep this in mind.

Friday, February 2, 2007 11:24 PM
  • Hello guys.
    XP>VISTA ultimate(upgrade)
    I'm having the same problem.My machine is sony fs680 laptop.
    After  installation is done, it reboots and freezes.I've try to run vista on the safe mode and it's stops on the file named   crcdisk.sys  . I was doing some research online and some people are saying that problem is with a sata hard drive drivers(If  I'm wrong please correct).
    I  called a Microsoft customer support center , i waste my time:) No one even know what is crcdisk.sys there.
    I read the thread about disconnecting my monitor, but it is a laptop and i need somehow to plug a second display.
    Thanks for your time.

Friday, February 2, 2007 11:56 PM
  • I'd start your own thread if I were you and list what you've tried and the reults, Benjimin who started this thread will just come on and tell you your problem isn't the same (it's a different laptop, even if you get exactly thesame result!) and it doesn't help him (in fact, even if you did help him he'd say you were wasting your time!)
    Saturday, February 3, 2007 12:12 AM
  • Did it ,thanks for the advise.

Saturday, February 3, 2007 12:37 AM
  • Hey Diane -- not sure what 'kicked the bucked' means, but don't really care.  This isn't a family forum, it a Microsoft-hosted TechNet forum, in which I've created a topic about issues installing Vista on my laptop.  I've typed nothing that would give this topic an 'R' rating, but if you have kids and think reading stuff here may harm them, by all means keep them away from the screen.

While you've posted a bit in this topic, none of it is relavent to my original post.  Your responses seem to indicate you never read the original post.  If you run into something that has anything to do with this thread, I'd hope you'll reconsider your position on not continuing here.  Otherwise... seeya

Saturday, February 3, 2007 2:55 AM
  • Um... Maffy -- he said removing the monitor cable during the install would get it going.  I don't use a monitor cable with my laptop, to which advice was offered to google for info on how to connect a monitor cable to my laptop.  This sounds silly why would I google for instructions on how to attach a monitor cable so that I can then remove it?

You should maybe 'read a couple posts above'; possibly even start with my original post so you're more familiar with the thread.

Saturday, February 3, 2007 3:03 AM
  • Hey Maffy -- you're sort of right, but looks like you still haven't done your reading.  His issue isn't the same, not because his laptop is different, but because his freezing is happening well after mine.  He reaches a point where he can somewhat boot his machine, mine locks up on the first reboot during the installation.  Keep trying
    Saturday, February 3, 2007 3:06 AM
  •  Benjimen wrote:

Um... Maffy -- he said removing the monitor cable during the install would get it going. I don't use a monitor cable with my laptop, to which advice was offered to google for info on how to connect a monitor cable to my laptop. This sounds silly why would I google for instructions on how to attach a monitor cable so that I can then remove it?

You should maybe 'read a couple posts above'; possibly even start with my original post so you're more familiar with the thread.

so you can set up your laptop to display to the monitor, not the laptop screen and then unplug it so no screen is used to see if that works, think about it.

and don't call me Maffy, this is my last post on here, hope others feel the same, you don't deserve to have a computer and the internet will be a better place without you
    Saturday, February 3, 2007 9:37 AM
  • Hey Maffy -- I guess that makes as much sense as anything else you've posted here.  I'll let someone else try that monitor-cable-on-the-laptop-trick.  Good luck with your installation, and with your reading skills  (excercise #1 -- find where the monitor cable poster is referring to a desktop installation, not a laptop)
    Saturday, February 3, 2007 9:44 AM
  • Such a priick
    Saturday, February 3, 2007 10:26 AM
  •  goonerbst wrote:
    Such a priick

I know -- but he's gone now, and won't be posting here anymore.  I think like many, he's just frustrated with the seemingly impossible task of installing Vista...

Saturday, February 3, 2007 10:34 AM
  •  Benjimen wrote:

goonerbst wrote:
    Such a priick

I know -- but he's gone now, and won't be posting here anymore.  I think like many, he's just frustrated with the seemingly impossible task of installing Vista...

Was implying that you are the priick
    Saturday, February 3, 2007 11:05 AM
  • Ben I think he was actually calling you one.

Everyone is adding information to this thread yet you seem to think that unless someone has

The Same Laptop

then surely the problem couldn't exist on something which is similar. You come across as a rude person who had to ask on a forum because you must have pissed off your other friends a long time ago.

I suggest you don't post here again because I really think after reading your replies nobody will want to help you. I hope you don't get your problem solved and maybe the person who you can blame for why it doesn't work is you. Your obviously not capable of just saying "thanks for the reply although I use blah blah, thanks" not "eomg can't you like read? I have a laptop and your on a desktop moron!".

The only person who can't read is you. Because if you could you would have realised you come across as a complete moron who has the social skills of a dung beetle (who don't have many friends).

Saturday, February 3, 2007 11:10 AM
  • Oh... well, now that you have that off your chest -- do you have anything relavent to this topic to post?
    Saturday, February 3, 2007 11:11 AM
  • Actually, it's not so much the laptop thing, as the actual freezing.  No one who has responded has yet to experience the same freezing after the first reboot of the install process.  The fact that you don't even know this when you do your little flame-post would indicate you haven't acutally read, or have read but not retained, the information in the original post.  Seems like a bunch of forum-trolls have clustered into this topic.

Henry-S wrote:
    Ben I think he was actually calling you one.

The Same Laptop

Saturday, February 3, 2007 11:14 AM
  •  Benjimen wrote:

Actually, it's not so much the laptop thing, as the actual freezing.  No one who has responded has yet to experience the same freezing after the first reboot of the install process.  The fact that you don't even know this when you do your little flame-post would indicate you haven't acutally read, or have read but not retained, the information in the original post.  Seems like a bunch of forum-trolls have clustered into this topic.

Henry-S wrote:
    Ben I think he was actually calling you one.

The Same Laptop

I think you will find that we have all read this thread otherwise we wouldn't have come to the conclusion that your a diick.  Common courtesy is all people ask but as you fail to displey this I find it hard that someone will reply sensibly to this post now for such a wank3r.  Even if someone had the resolution IMHO you will not get someone to post it now.
    Saturday, February 3, 2007 11:22 AM
  •  Benjimen wrote:

.  Seems like a bunch of forum-trolls have clustered into this topic.

That's because you are becoming more popular outside of Technet as a complete Prick.

I cant help but hope and prey NO-ONE helps you sort your problems out. You have much bigger issues to deal with away from a computer.

What an arrogant fool you are Benjimen!!

Saturday, February 3, 2007 11:23 AM
  • Yes I read the whole thread including your problem.

The thing is, people are less inclined to "try" and help someone who comes across as basically saying "why bother posting if you don't know the answer". Its because they are "trying" to help and you never know in a post you think is "useless" you actually might find your answer.

If I wanted to get help for this problem, I would just delete your thread and start another which you reply to people respectfully and actually appreciate that not EVERYONE will have the same laptop, infact loads won't so if your wanting it to be laptop specific state it in the post.

All in all you come across really badly in the posts and I seriously doubt that people will be trying to help you anytime soon. Maybe you think its useless information, but its actually very useful information. I think the main bit you should take is "do not come across aggressive" and "do not come across as a know it all". It makes people less inclined to help you :)
    Saturday, February 3, 2007 11:25 AM
  • OK -- you typed your words of wisdom, move along...

goonerbst wrote:

I think you will find that we have all read this thread otherwise we wouldn't have come to the conclusion that your a diick.  Common courtesy is all people ask but as you fail to displey this I find it hard that someone will reply sensibly to this post now for such a wank3r.  Even if someone had the resolution IMHO you will not get someone to post it now.

Saturday, February 3, 2007 11:26 AM
  • Thanks -- that's actually a nice post.  And... I agree with you 100%.  I just don't think this particular Dell is upgradeable -- could be wrong, but will shelve the idea of trying for a while, maybe an update of some sort will come out at some point.  Thanks for taking the time to put together that constructive reply though, very nice of you.

Henry-S wrote:
    Yes I read the whole thread including your problem.

The thing is, people are less inclined to "try" and help someone who comes across as basically saying "why bother posting if you don't know the answer". Its because they are "trying" to help and you never know in a post you think is "useless" you actually might find your answer.

If I wanted to get help for this problem, I would just delete your thread and start another which you reply to people respectfully and actually appreciate that not EVERYONE will have the same laptop, infact loads won't so if your wanting it to be laptop specific state it in the post.

All in all you come across really badly in the posts and I seriously doubt that people will be trying to help you anytime soon. Maybe you think its useless information, but its actually very useful information. I think the main bit you should take is "do not come across aggressive" and "do not come across as a know it all". It makes people less inclined to help you :)

Saturday, February 3, 2007 11:32 AM
  • Benjimen you seem to be a caring, helpful person. I had this exact problem on my desktop, and ended up trashing it with a 6lb hammer out of frustration.

Now I want to get a laptop, like you....do you think you would be able to loan me 50 bucks towards the cost of one ?

thanks in anticipation

Saturday, February 3, 2007 11:33 AM
  • Ok, i read it through and i work for Dell so can hopefully provide you with some constructive thoughts here.

Can you just tell me first if your 8200 has the silver or graphite coloured palmrest? I can hopefully advise you further then.

Saturday, February 3, 2007 12:21 PM
  • I'll send you £10 by Paypal if you don't help this arrogant fool out!!
    Saturday, February 3, 2007 12:32 PM
  • Lol, maybe he just deserves another chance. Some people mean things in a totally different way to how it comes accross over the net.

I just think he may be misunderstood, and if i can help him, i will. I'm pretty familiar with his model of laptop.

Saturday, February 3, 2007 1:21 PM
  • hey benjiman you muppet

Your such an idiot.

WHY DONT YOU PAY MICROSOFT MONEY AND GET PROPER HELP you arsewipe

Expect free help ? at least be kind

and yes YOUR the prick

I know the solution to your answer, but if you want it, you can go throw yourself off a bridge

I bet your a scammer in reality.

Your the dog now you idiot.

Kind regards

Saturday, February 3, 2007 1:27 PM
  • Thanks!  Silver...
    Saturday, February 3, 2007 4:36 PM
  • Thanks! Silver...

Jibbleypish wrote:

Ok, i read it through and i work for Dell so can hopefully provide you with some constructive thoughts here.

Can you just tell me first if your 8200 has the silver or graphite coloured palmrest? I can hopefully advise you further then.

Saturday, February 3, 2007 4:43 PM
  • Seriously.

I will give you £10 by paypal not to help him.

I may go more but dont get too silly!

Saturday, February 3, 2007 6:32 PM
  • i will give you £15 not to help the tw@t
    Saturday, February 3, 2007 6:45 PM
  • Benjamin - we need to talk - about you.

Not just for your benefit - but because you have (possibly childhood) issues that need resolved and I think it's only fair to make you aware of the level of public disquiet about your arrogant and 'w@nky' responses to those who once upon a time actually gave a sh!t about your existence.

As stated previously by other contributors it is clear from the posts that you have provided that we can summise the following about you:

a) you are indeed a complete pr!ck - and sadly bigger is not better when it relates to personality

b) you've become universally despised due to point a)

c) no-one either gives a f*ck or cares whether you achieve your goal of installing a new O/S onto you lappy, desktop or for that matter reprogramming your attitude with a new one

d) ref to c) - that perhaps need clarified - you've managed to achieve a level of such visible hatred from a huge array of sources that it's probably best for the next generation that you simply agree to be both chemically ca$trated and lobotomised.

We all know it's in everyones interest.

Edit : with hindsight we all know that you've had the latter operation already....

T0sser

Saturday, February 3, 2007 6:55 PM
  • I also have a Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop, the same as you benjamin, and was having the exact same problem installing Vista, with the system locking during the installation after installing updates, only thing I could do was reboot etc.  Tried installing countless times, it's a problem with this particular laptop, and is easily fixed by....

As if I'd help an ar$ehole like you.
    Saturday, February 3, 2007 10:08 PM
  • Yeah... right...  within the 8200 line, there's a number of variations (graphics cards, hard drives, dvd, cd, dvd/cd-rw, RAM, etc, etc) -- but, I doubt you have any of them, nice little post though  

meehog wrote:
    I also have a Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop, the same as you benjamin, and was having the exact same problem installing Vista, with the system locking during the installation after installing updates, only thing I could do was reboot etc.  Tried installing countless times, it's a problem with this particular laptop, and is easily fixed by....

As if I'd help an ar$ehole like you.

Saturday, February 3, 2007 10:45 PM
  •  Ihaterudecunts wrote:

Benjamin - we need to talk - about you.

Not just for your benefit - but because you have (possibly childhood) issues that need resolved and I think it's only fair to make you aware of the level of public disquiet about your arrogant and 'w@nky' responses to those who once upon a time actually gave a sh!t about your existence....

Wow... what a pack of trolls.  It's like a troll feeding frenzy.  Wasn't sure if this was MS TechNet or MS TrollNet.

Benjamin -- don't give up yet, I think I can help.

A couple posts back someone asked about the color of the palm-rests.  Could be wrong, but I think that's one of these trolls pulling your leg.  As I recall, you can purchase different color palm-rests, and may have even been able to specify the color when ordering a customized Inspiron.  Again though, I might be wrong -- you may want to call tech support about that to see if there's a difference in models that shipped with silver as opposed to graphite ones -- if there was, it would be well documented.

I have the 8200 as well, different graphics card, and the graphics card has a lot less RAM than yours.  I have 512 megs RAM, and a 40 gig hard drive.  I had the same problem going into the first reboot.  I read a posting in a newsgroup that referenced the monitor-cable trick mentioned a few posts back here (the one you thought was 'silly'); and, it worked!  Didn't have a the type of cable to connect my laptop to a monitor at first, so tried with sVideo -- that didn't work.  Got the cable and tried it, and it worked.  After the installation, I booted without the monitor and some additional drivers loaded (don't remember which ones) and it all works well.

Careful what ya wish for though, as even though it runs, it runs >>>a lot<<< slower than it did with XP.  With more RAM and more video card RAM, maybe yours will be OK, but I'm probably going to reinstall XP.

Good luck!!!!!

Saturday, February 3, 2007 11:05 PM
  • Meehog,

Go on, do the decent thing and help him if you know how.

His initial post stated that he had tried 10 installations. I would have been beside myself with rage and despair by that stage (I've actually surrendered after 2 x 10h failed installations), so I'm sure his posts reflect that and that alone.

Having looked through this Forum, I am coming to the view that Vista is not worth the candle and, indeed, may not be 'of merchantable quality'. I can understand problems with in-place upgrades but clean installs should be essentially trouble-free, particularly after all the vainglorious *** from MS about millions of hours beta-testing. I know it is 5y ago, but I really don't remember this sweat when installing XP.

Maybe we should all just return our Vistas to the dealers and force MS to do a proper job.

Fraser

Saturday, February 3, 2007 11:06 PM
  • hello beanjism

firstly i just want to know if your a catholic? cos i suspect you were abused by the priests,judging by your attitude to people who are trying to help you,

do you have an anus the size of glasgow city centre on a wet night ? or have you been vista'd by chunkys love glove  

anyway the answer to your question is delete vista and re install xp pro

problem sorted,  and i never even charged you for bending over

BTW DAE YE SOOK YER MAW'S BAWS ?

Saturday, February 3, 2007 11:10 PM
  •  snworf wrote:
    Ihaterudecunts wrote:

Benjamin - we need to talk - about you.

Not just for your benefit - but because you have (possibly childhood) issues that need resolved and I think it's only fair to make you aware of the level of public disquiet about your arrogant and 'w@nky' responses to those who once upon a time actually gave a sh!t about your existence....

Wow... what a pack of trolls. It's like a troll feeding frenzy. Wasn't sure if this was MS TechNet or MS TrollNet.

Benjamin -- don't give up yet, I think I can help.

A couple posts back someone asked about the color of the palm-rests. Could be wrong, but I think that's one of these trolls pulling your leg. As I recall, you can purchase different color palm-rests, and may have even been able to specify the color when ordering a customized Inspiron. Again though, I might be wrong -- you may want to call tech support about that to see if there's a difference in models that shipped with silver as opposed to graphite ones -- if there was, it would be well documented.

I have the 8200 as well, different graphics card, and the graphics card has a lot less RAM than yours. I have 512 megs RAM, and a 40 gig hard drive. I had the same problem going into the first reboot. I read a posting in a newsgroup that referenced the monitor-cable trick mentioned a few posts back here (the one you thought was 'silly'); and, it worked! Didn't have a the type of cable to connect my laptop to a monitor at first, so tried with sVideo -- that didn't work. Got the cable and tried it, and it worked. After the installation, I booted without the monitor and some additional drivers loaded (don't remember which ones) and it all works well.

Careful what ya wish for though, as even though it runs, it runs >>>a lot<<< slower than it did with XP. With more RAM and more video card RAM, maybe yours will be OK, but I'm probably going to reinstall XP.

Good luck!!!!!

Ya Fud!!!!!
    Saturday, February 3, 2007 11:17 PM
  • Thanks Snworf...  I don't actually have a regular monitor or cable like that handy, but can borrow one -- I'll be trying that out this evening.  Glad you got yours going, sorry to hear yours is so slow.
    Saturday, February 3, 2007 11:21 PM
  • Hey Benjackoff

Snworfs laptop has a different size hard drive and a different amount of RAM.

According to your posts earlier, it couldnt possibly work with a laptop which isn't identical.

snworf must be an idiot for not reading your first post!

Tell your mum she still owes my dog fcuk-money!"

Saturday, February 3, 2007 11:34 PM
  • I think the systems are similar enough to where it might matter.  My impression though is that this is more about the procedure than the hardware.  The fact that the locking up of things happens after the first of what should be several reboots.  Other than myself and Benjiman, I didn't read here that anyone else has experienced the same issue.  I may have missed something in one of them though, as there are a lot like yours to wade through before finding >real< postings.

CHR15bst wrote:

Hey Benjackoff

According to your posts earlier, it couldnt possibly work with a laptop which isn't identical.

Tell your mum she still owes my dog ***-money!"

Saturday, February 3, 2007 11:47 PM
  •  CHR15bst wrote:

Hey Benjackoff

pmsl
    Saturday, February 3, 2007 11:53 PM
  • I'm not a "troll" as you put it, there are slight differences with the build of each model as long as the silver was the original palmrest colour when the laptop was new. Most people are dubous when asked for model numbers over forums, so the palm rest colour helps me in a small way towards identifying the exact build, thus the likely cause of the problem.

By all means, try what Snworf is suggesting, but i'm also looking into a workround for you. Keep us updated and if you have no luck, let me suggest something.

Sunday, February 4, 2007 12:08 AM
  •  snworf wrote:

I think the systems are similar enough to where it might matter.  My impression though is that this is more about the procedure than the hardware.  The fact that the locking up of things happens after the first of what should be several reboots.  Other than myself and Benjiman, I didn't read here that anyone else has experienced the same issue.  I may have missed something in one of them though, as there are a lot like yours to wade through before finding >real< postings.

You are right snworf but you are joining in very late to this thread.

Earlier on lots of people tried to help with suggestions similar to yours.

Unfortunately the OP replied with constant insults about how they couldn't be bothered to read the original post. He claimed that unless the hardware was identical then the poster must be an idiot to reply with meaningless similarities.

There are a lot of people involved in Technical support replying on this thread, but due to the OP's attitude, he is unlikely to get anything of worth as a reply.

Save your time and effort, this fool is not worth helping!

Sunday, February 4, 2007 12:10 AM
  • Me 3 :) I'm having the same scenario, on a earlier Toshiba model; same thing, freezing up a few minutes into the first reboot, when the COMPLETING INSTALLATION thing starts with those 3 dots that cycle . . . they stop and everything is lock. Very FRUSTRATING.

New to TechNet; is this place on a newsserver or just web interface? A lot of yahoos posting junk here, but some helpful ones to.

snworf wrote:

I think the systems are similar enough to where it might matter.  My impression though is that this is more about the procedure than the hardware.  The fact that the locking up of things happens after the first of what should be several reboots.  Other than myself and Benjiman, I didn't read here that anyone else has experienced the same issue.  I may have missed something in one of them though, as there are a lot like yours to wade through before finding >real< postings.

CHR15bst wrote:

Hey Benjackoff

Sunday, February 4, 2007 12:14 AM
  • I may be joining the thread late, but I have read all of it.  To be honest, I have no idea why you and some of the others are even particpating in this thread.  What possible benefit could this, or any of your other postings provide?  It doesn't really matter, things will get sorted out in spite of your cluttering up the threads with trollspeak.

CHR15bst wrote:

snworf wrote:

You are right snworf but you are joining in very late to this thread.

Earlier on lots of people tried to help with suggestions similar to yours.

Unfortunately the OP replied with constant insults about how they couldn't be bothered to read the original post. He claimed that unless the hardware was identical then the poster must be an idiot to reply with meaningless similarities.

There are a lot of people involved in Technical support replying on this thread, but due to the OP's attitude, he is unlikely to get anything of worth as a reply.

Save your time and effort, this fool is not worth helping!

Sunday, February 4, 2007 12:24 AM
  • Sorry about that, I'm wrong all the time and it looks like I'm keeping up that standard. How do the silver ones differ from the graphite ones?

Jibbleypish wrote:

I'm not a "troll" as you put it, there are slight differences with the build of each model as long as the silver was the original palmrest colour when the laptop was new. Most people are dubous when asked for model numbers over forums, so the palm rest colour helps me in a small way towards identifying the exact build, thus the likely cause of the problem.

By all means, try what Snworf is suggesting, but i'm also looking into a workround for you. Keep us updated and if you have no luck, let me suggest something.

Sunday, February 4, 2007 12:29 AM
  • Basically, the colour will help to tell me which factory the laptop was constructed at, and will also give me an idea of timeline...ie, if the silver models were created first, and the build of the motherboard is any different, i have something to go on.

More importantly, i can probably loan one from work that more closely matches the laptop in question and it is more probable that it will give similar results, from which, i can figure out a way around the problem.

Two machines of the same model number can still have an equivalent build with similar but not identical components.

At the moment, i am thinking maybe a simple series of upgrades may help, working up by installing Windows 98, and upgrading to 2000, then up to XP, and finally Vista. Natural progression that this hardware was designed to handle, and may make it more readily accept the Vista install.

I'll see what i can come up with tomorrow.

Sunday, February 4, 2007 1:12 AM
  • Hey Chuck -- maybe what worked for Snworf will work for you.  I was going to try it tonight with a friend's monitor but it won't plug directly into my laptop, I need a different cable/adapter or something -- tomorrow.  If you have the stuff lying around, give it a try and let us know.  Don't know if this is available on a newsserver...

chucky007 wrote:

Me 3 :) I'm having the same scenario, on a earlier Toshiba model; same thing, freezing up a few minutes into the first reboot, when the COMPLETING INSTALLATION thing starts with those 3 dots that cycle . . . they stop and everything is lock. Very FRUSTRATING.

New to TechNet; is this place on a newsserver or just web interface? A lot of yahoos posting junk here, but some helpful ones to.

Sunday, February 4, 2007 6:11 AM
  • Wow Jibbleypish -- that is extremely nice of you.  Thanks for all your help.  If there's anything I can provide about my exisiting system other than the silver color info, let me know.  Wasn't able to plug a monitor directly into my laptop as planned, hopefully will be able to give that a go tomorrow.  Thanks again!
    Sunday, February 4, 2007 6:36 AM
  • Bent-jammed-in..

The answer to your problem is painfully simple.

You need just two items.

1. A cup of luke warm tea

2. A gram of Pollonium 210

Mix, drink and wait....be (a) patient - it can take up to three weeks to completely solve these issues.

As I said - the answer to our prayers and your Vista problem both resolved.

Edit : The answer to your problem is painful and simple

PMSL ya fud..

Sunday, February 4, 2007 3:09 PM
  • This topic is infested with cockroaches  but there is still some good info.

Thanks for the info Ben -- will have to wait for work to use one of the monitors.

Ihaterudecunts wrote:

Bent-jammed-in..

The answer to your problem is painfully simple.

You need just two items.

1. A cup of luke warm tea

2. A gram of Pollonium 210

Mix, drink and wait....be (a) patient - it can take up to three weeks to completely solve these issues.

As I said - the answer to our prayers and your Vista problem both resolved.

Edit : The answer to your problem is painful and simple

PMSL ya fud..

Sunday, February 4, 2007 7:33 PM
  • No problem -- wish I had a 'for-sure' answer for you. Good luck!!!

You're right about the 'infestation'.  When you think about it though, it's kinda sad.  Try and imagine someone who would sit at home, in front of their computer, and use their time to type stuff like that.  What must they be like in real-life?  How would someone who communicates in that way conduct themselves in a day-to-day conversation?  Probably the beginning of a future CNN news-story about some deranged kidnapper or something

Sunday, February 4, 2007 8:18 PM
  • No luck with the monitor cable, same thing happened trying this route

Benjimen wrote:

No problem -- wish I had a 'for-sure' answer for you. Good luck!!!

You're right about the 'infestation'.  When you think about it though, it's kinda sad.  Try and imagine someone who would sit at home, in front of their computer, and use their time to type stuff like that.  What must they be like in real-life?  How would someone who communicates in that way conduct themselves in a day-to-day conversation?  Probably the beginning of a future CNN news-story about some deranged kidnapper or something

Monday, February 5, 2007 9:51 PM
  •  chucky007 wrote:

No luck with the monitor cable, same thing happened trying this route

Benjimen wrote:

Sorry that didn't work out for you.  Benjamin, have you had a chance to try?

Tuesday, February 6, 2007 4:55 PM
  • Yes -- spent a good amount of time trying the monitor cable trick today -- no luck.  Worth a try, glad it worked for you though.

snworf wrote:

chucky007 wrote:

Benjimen wrote:

Wednesday, February 7, 2007 8:29 AM
  • One last attempt with MS Support today -- interestingly, he pulled up this thread and told me to try the monitor cable  and I explained I had, and it wasn't a solution for me.  About all I have to try now is xcopying the DVD over to the hard drive and attempting the install that way.  I'm 99.99% sure that won't work, but will give it a try.  If it doesn't, will just have to resign myself to my particular system not being Vista capable regardless of what the Vista advisor tells me.

Jibbleypish: if you're able to figure anything out, drop us a line -- would greatly appreciate it!!!

Wednesday, February 7, 2007 9:47 PM
  • After the last call to MS Support, tried copying the DVD to the hard drive and running the install from there.  No luck there, same results.  From what I've read, Inspiron 8200 users who have the nVidia video cards in them seem to get through the installation fine, it must have something to do with the 8200's configured with the ATI Rage Mobility 9000 cards.  Who knows for sure though -- at this point, looks like I'll be continuing on with XP on mine.

Benjimen wrote:

Yes -- spent a good amount of time trying the monitor cable trick today -- no luck.  Worth a try, glad it worked for you though.

snworf wrote:

chucky007 wrote:

Benjimen wrote:

Thursday, February 8, 2007 8:29 AM
  • finally got my vista premium to work.
    recieved a patch from MS and the installation is fixed!

Thursday, February 8, 2007 11:32 AM
  • That's great Tony.  From your previous posts, I thought you'd already got your Vista installation to work by removing the monitor cable, at least that's what you typed.

How would this patch relate to the issue in this topic? Is it something you put in place to prevent the freezing from happening after the first re-boot?  If so, how?  Do you copy it to the hard drive prior to running setup?

Do you have a MS technical support document ID, or link, that provides a bit more detail on this 'patch' you mentioned?  How did they 'send' it to you?  I would imagine a 'patch' that allows previously troublesome installations to move forward would be well documented at MS Support.

Thanks!

Tonybobfist wrote:

finally got my vista premium to work.
    recieved a patch from MS and the installation is fixed!

Thursday, February 8, 2007 11:47 AM
  • hi,

there are few log files that might give you clues on where it stops and why, i believe you are in the last phase of installation?

c:\windows\setupact.log (general errors and main log file, most hw errors there)

also:

c:\windows\panther\setupact.log (as above)

c:\windows\panther\setuperr.log (self explanatory)

and here:

c:\windows\inf\setupapi.app.log (devices apart from storage)

c:\windows\inf\setupapi.dev.log (storage devices)

look for these files (to see them boot from vista dvd and enter command prompt from recovery menu, last item on the list)

Hope this gets you closer to Vista desktop. Good Luck.

Thursday, February 8, 2007 6:53 PM
  • Thanks TK -- will take a look, the MS Support person had me look at 1 of the log files, but not the others you mentioned.

I'm not sure which phase I actually make it to, they called it 1st reboot, and that there should be more than that, how many I don't know though.  Thanks again.

Thursday, February 8, 2007 7:54 PM
  • Just curious... but... why would you start your testing with Windows98, 2000, etc...? The system shipped with XP; as familiar as you mentioned being with the 8200 line, I'm surprised you would consider beginning this process with 98 and incrementally updating to Vista as being a 'natural progression'.
    Friday, February 9, 2007 11:28 AM
  • It was the last vile, setupapi.dev.log, where there seems to be a problem.  Quite a large file -- at the end there are a couple Intel PCI entries, then no error -- just ends with a bunch of garbage characters like the entries became corrupt.  Not sure, but would guess this is where the freezing occurs.

tk27 wrote:

c:\windows\inf\setupapi.dev.log (storage devices)

look for these files (to see them boot from vista dvd and enter command prompt from recovery menu, last item on the list)

Hope this gets you closer to Vista desktop. Good Luck.

Sunday, February 11, 2007 7:57 AM
  •  Benjimen wrote:
    Am trying to install Vista Business to my laptop:
        Dell Inspiron 8200
        1 gig RAM
        100 GB hard drive
        ATI Radeon Mobility 9000 video card w/64 megs RAM

The upgrade advisor tells me everything should work, but that I won't be
    able to run Aero.

Doing a clean install, the first part completes -- the system reboots after
    'Installing Updates' -- after the reboot, 'Completing Installation' runs for
    a minute or so, then the system hangs. Keyboard is locked, hard drive
    activity stops and the only way out of it is to hold the power button until
    the device shuts off. Powering back on brings up an error that the
    installation was terminated and needs to be started over.

Have tried about 10 times so far, letting it run up to an hour before
    assuming it has locked up. MS Support said a clean install should be
    finalizing within 40 minutes. Reading through the posts here I found
    reference to removing the DVD before the reboot, which I tried but this
    didn't help. Microsoft support says to contact Dell, Dell support says to
    contact Microsoft Sad Has anyone run into this? From what I've been able to
    find in this newsgroup, the video drivers are being installed after the
    first reboot (I think)...? Am at a loss as to what, if anything, to try
    next -- any help would be >>>much<<< appreciated!!!! Thanks!!!!

I came across this problem myself today.  It was quite frustrating.  After doing some research, the issue is that the motherboard cannot communicate with the SATA hard drive using Windows Vista's drivers.  Even though Vista appears to install, Vista cannot clearly communicate through the motherboard with the SATA hard drive. 

I have an HP Pavillion 9500 CTO Laptop with this problem where it installs and hangs on installation completing.  You (Ben) have an issue with a Dell computer.  I found that Dell and HP have intel SATA drivers on their websites that remedy this.  I will post links to their sites.  Download from either of these sites and extract the files to a memory stick or burn to a CD-ROM.  When you install Vista freshly, there is an option to load a driver - select this. Use the compatible driver and you "should" be ok.  It worked for me but I cannot guarentee that it will work for you.

HP's Website - ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp36501-37000/sp36881.exe

Dell's Website - http://ftp.us.dell.com/SATA/R154200.exe

Good luck!

Friday, April 4, 2008 3:16 AM
  • Thanks for taking the time to post your findings.  I'm not sure if it applies though as the drive in the 8200 is 'ATA' not 'SATA'.  I could be wrong though as I don't know if there's a difference because of the missing 'S' -- thanks though!

Sunday, April 13, 2008 6:34 PM