Vista won't recognize optical media when inserted RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running Vista Ultimate(32-bit) and have the following problem:

If I start the computer with a cd or dvd in the drive Vista will recognize the disk. If Vista is running and I insert a cd or dvd, it will not be recognized. I have tried 3 different optical drives so the problem is definitely with Vista and occurs with 3 different optical drives from different manufacturers.

Any ideas? I've searched high and low and the only relevant solution I found was a registry edit to delete the upper/lower filters which didn't work.

Thanks
    Thursday, January 3, 2008 4:51 AM

Answers

• Hello,

Thanks for your post!

Based on my experience, there are two major possibilities that causes the issue.

1.    All the three CD/DVD drives are not compatible with Windows Vista or work with incorrect driver designed for Windows Vista. In such a case, please let me know the models of them, I’ll help you to check the compatibility information or available drivers. Or, you may visit Windows Vista Hardware Compatibility List to check the information:

https://winqual.microsoft.com/hcl/

2.    The motherboard is not compatible with Windows Vista or work with incorrect driver, which leads to poor power management when running Windows Vista. In such a case, please check if there are  available updated drivers of the motherboard/chipset and BIOS designed for Windows Vista. Install them and check the issue again.

3.    Some 3rd party application, service or conflicting hardware exist. In such a case, please remove all USB devices if possible. Then perform a clean boot and check the issue again:

(KB929135) How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;929135

If the problem persists, please let me know. I’m happy to be of further assistance!

Thanks!

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Monday, January 7, 2008 2:16 AM