[Solved] Window State not saving after restart. RRS feed

• Question

• Okay, becoming extremely annoyed with this, running Windows 7 Home Premium x64.

For example when I maximize an application such as iTunes, and close it the maximize state is saved. Upon rebooting, when I open the application the windows will be shown in a "normal" state - not maximized.

The same happens for every other application/folder. I would simply right click the application and set it to open in a maximimized state, unfortunately the same cannot be done for folders. Their position and sizing also defaults upon reboot as if it was the first time the computer had been run. If anyone knows of a work around or hotfix please help me. The strange thing is I know for a fact it is not the same on my other computers. The verion of Windows came stock with the laptop.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Edited by Terry174 Monday, December 5, 2011 11:24 AM
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 5:45 AM

Answers

• Hi,

When did this issue happen?

Try use another user account see if the issue persists. Also test in Clean Boot.

Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Terry174 Sunday, December 4, 2011 11:35 AM
    Friday, December 2, 2011 3:11 AM

All replies

• Did a little research on this.

Does it remember its state if you close/reopen the application WITHOUT rebooting?

Please vote my post as helpful if you think it was, and mark it as
    an answer if it answered
    your question. That will help others
    with the same problem finding the answer. - Thanks.

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 6:22 PM
  • Yes, it does, which I find strange.
    Thursday, December 1, 2011 1:54 PM
  • Try this:

1. Run GPEDIT.MSC
    2. Expand User Configuration, Administrative Templates, Desktop
    3. Check the setting of Don't save settings at exit

an answer if it answered

Thursday, December 1, 2011 3:13 PM
  • Windows 7 HP doesn't have gpedit.msc?
    Thursday, December 1, 2011 3:26 PM
  • You are correct. I apologize.

I do not have a Windows 7 HP version, so I can't do any hands-on experiments, but I will keep looking and let you know if I come up with some new suggestions to your problem.

I did find that if Windows does not shut down in a proper fashion, it may not remember new settings.

Are you experiencing issues when shutting it down?

Also, if you have any sleep/hibernation/power saver mode enabled, try disabling those and see if it works after a reboot.

an answer if it answered

Thursday, December 1, 2011 3:46 PM
  • Hi,

Try use another user account see if the issue persists. Also test in Clean Boot.

Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Terry174 Sunday, December 4, 2011 11:35 AM
    Friday, December 2, 2011 3:11 AM

• Hi,

Regards,

Miya

Thanks Miya, I tried a clean boot and that may have worked. But I also ran the CCleaner, which I initially downloaded to clear some temporary files, I did notice a function in the main screen, under the "Advanced" sub heading that said "Window Size/Location Cache" I clicked that and now everything seems to be working perfectly.

I would like to thank everyone for their answers and contributions, if anyone has this problem in the future Clean Boot + CCleaner should work!

Thanks Again!

• Edited by Terry174 Sunday, December 4, 2011 11:35 AM
    Sunday, December 4, 2011 11:34 AM