A new AD domain or .. what ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

we are using an AD domain for many years. All works well.

A new company was recently born, "sister" of the current one.

Some colleagues will remain in the current company, some will be hired from the new one and few of them will be in a mixed environment.

My current domain is not related to company name ... but the mail address is.

I am trying to understand which is the best way to go: create a new AD domain ? In that case .. could users log on 2 domain from the same PC ? Is it a good idea or no ? Which are best practices in these cases ?

For example, we have one Exchange Server 2007 and it is configured to the current mail address ... of course I can add multiple mail addresses but I can use only one through Outlook and ActiveSync ..

Please help !

Thursday, January 2, 2014 2:53 PM

All replies

• I would look into adding a Sub Domain instead of creating 2 domains. If you are looking at the best way to keep one Exchange environment  that would be best. Exchange works at a forest level. 

-http://blog.pluralsight.com/server-2008-active-directory-adding-a-child-domain-

Thursday, January 2, 2014 2:56 PM
  • Hi Mark, my 2 main domain controllers are Win 2003 R2 ... is it still possible to do that ?

Thanks for help !

Friday, January 3, 2014 8:15 AM