Question about the Windows Guests Group RRS feed

• Question

• Wondering if anyone can give me a case for using the built in Guests group in Windows 7.  To be clear, I DO NOT mean the Guest account.

I need to be able to automatically remove user profiles when they log out of the computer.  I have a GPO that will remove profiles after 24 hours, but that leaves behind the users folder with an empty 'AppData' folder inside.  I want the entire profile to be deleted.  In my testing I have discovered that if I place a user account (or user group) into the local Guests group, the profile is marked as 'Temporary'.  And, when the user logs out the profile is removed. 

This solves my problem, but seems to easy.  What is the downside?  What am I missing.

Thanks.
    Monday, November 16, 2015 8:23 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Great, it's by design. The Guests group plays a special role  that integrates with the behavior of the  Windows user profile scheme. More details about Profiles for Members of Guests Group Are Deleted, please refer to: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/165398

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Allen Wang
    TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Allen_WangJF Wednesday, December 2, 2015 5:12 AM
    • Marked as answer by Deason Wu Thursday, December 3, 2015 6:54 AM
    Tuesday, November 17, 2015 9:28 AM