none
HandleSMPRegistryChanges Failed 0x80070002 RRS feed

• Question

• I have four DPs that also function as SMPs.  These are Windows Server 2012 boxes and SCCM 2012 SP1.  I am consistenly seeing entires in smpmgr.log saying "HandleSMPRegistryChanges failed, error (0x80070002)."  After these appear for long enough, SMP Manager stops.  Upon trying to restart the SMS_STATE_MIGRATION_POINT service though CM Service Manager, it starts and then stops, logging the above error immediately followed by "SMPManager failed to start, Error = (0x80070002)."  I have checked file/folder/share permissions per posts I've found and from past experience with this issue, but I am unable to get this role to function.  Does anyone have a solution to this problem that works consistently?
    Friday, July 12, 2013 5:51 PM

Answers

• Maybe.  I just made a change about an hour ago that I'm hopeful will fix it.  My SMPs fail about every 2.5 days, so I won't really know until Friday.  What I did was found the folder that holds the SMSSMP virtual directory, which is <some path>\SMS_CCM\SMSSMP_VIRTUAL and checked permissions.  LOCAL SERVICE should have Full Control on that folder, but mine was set to Read.  After changing the permissions, I restarted the SMP role service via Configuration Manager Service Manager.
    Tuesday, August 20, 2013 5:04 PM

All replies

• Did you resolve this issue?  Running into the same problem.

Jay D

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 4:59 PM
  • Maybe.  I just made a change about an hour ago that I'm hopeful will fix it.  My SMPs fail about every 2.5 days, so I won't really know until Friday.  What I did was found the folder that holds the SMSSMP virtual directory, which is <some path>\SMS_CCM\SMSSMP_VIRTUAL and checked permissions.  LOCAL SERVICE should have Full Control on that folder, but mine was set to Read.  After changing the permissions, I restarted the SMP role service via Configuration Manager Service Manager.
    Tuesday, August 20, 2013 5:04 PM