Mavis Beacon 16 for Schools and the All Users folder issue RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am having the same problem as in this thread: http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsToolsandUtilities/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2065338&SiteID=69

"I run a lab where Mavis Beacon 16 is installed on the computers.  After installing WSS MB16 no longer loads correctly and users cannot save their work.  The folder where student work is stored is located in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Broderbund|MavisBeaconTeachesTyping16.  I do not have WDP turned on and the student profile is locked, yet MB16 will not function correctly.  When I unlock it everything works fine."

However, I am using the "for Schools" version. As such, there is no file called "MAVIS16.ini" that I can locate where I can change the setting as suggested in this fix:

"This document is for a product like SteadyState and Mavis Beacon 15, but it may point you in the direction you need to go.  Assuming everything works the same between version 15 and 16, you need to edit the MAVIS15.ini (MAVIS16.ini) and change the setting user=C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Broderbund\Mavis Beacon\MAVUSRE to point to a new folder."

So for now, I am stuck since I cannot locate such said .ini file anywhere on the computer. I have done a search, even for hidden files, but nothing shows up. I do have a partition where the data can be saved, but at this point I don't know how to tell Mavis Beacon how to save it there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thursday, October 16, 2008 6:33 PM

Answers

•  

Hi jygsaw, if we lock the user profile, we will no longer able to change the setting under that folder. Therefore, the only workaround is to modify the location of Mavis Beacon save files while using "lock" function in Windows SteadyState. For the current issue, I recommend you to contact with Mavis Beacon support and see if we can change the save location. Thank you for your understanding.
    Monday, October 20, 2008 7:39 AM

All replies

•  

Hi jygsaw, if we lock the user profile, we will no longer able to change the setting under that folder. Therefore, the only workaround is to modify the location of Mavis Beacon save files while using "lock" function in Windows SteadyState. For the current issue, I recommend you to contact with Mavis Beacon support and see if we can change the save location. Thank you for your understanding.
    Monday, October 20, 2008 7:39 AM
  • We are using Mavis Beacon 15 on a lot of our staff machines, and I was able to workaround this problem by doing this:
    • <!--[if !supportLists]--> <!--[endif]-->Set Security permissions on “C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Broderbund\Mavis Bacon SE” to allow Users group to R/W

I don't know if this will work the same on v16 or not.

Monday, November 3, 2008 6:30 PM