Black Screen of Death, no bootup options available, not sure how to fix RRS feed

• Question

• Apologies if this is in the wrong forum section, wasn't sure where to put it. Anyhoo:

Having trouble with the black screen of death. Desktop is brand new, booted up just fine the first time, no issues. Restarted it to allow updates to be applied, then nothing.

After looking through tons of youtube videos and help threads I am stuck.

All I get is a black screen with a mouse cursor (that I can move, for all the good it does me)

I've tried every possible key combination out there, nothing works. F8, F12, Ctrl-Alt-Del, nothing. Can't go into Safe Mode, can't access the BIOS. All I get is the Windows opening chime and a black screen where I would normally log in to access my computer. Every connection is secure, nothing loose.

Can anyone help?

Using Windows 7 as the OS.
    Tuesday, June 5, 2012 3:18 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi! Boot from the Windows 7 DVD. Launch the startup repair. If it does not fix the problem, press shift + F10 on the first screen after all Windows files are loaded from the DVD. Type 
    chkdsk [<Volume>] [/f]
    Example: chkdsk [C:] [/f]
    If it does not work, you might have to reinstall Windows.
    Tuesday, June 5, 2012 3:37 PM
  • Hi,

To boot from the Windows 7 media, then have a startup repair first. If the issue persists, you may have an In-Place upgrade to repair system. Of course, to run "chkdsk" command is also good for you.

Startup Repair

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/startup-repair

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade on Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 & Windows Server 2008 R2

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2255099

If these methods do not fix the system, I suggest you have a clean installation.

Hope that helps.

Ivan-Liu

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Monday, June 25, 2012 8:32 AM
    Wednesday, June 6, 2012 3:28 AM