none
Can we acess VSAM file on host system using HIS . RRS feed

• Question

• Hi i want to access VSAM file placed on Host system(Mainframe) from Cobol program which is running on windows environment in Microfocus environment. Can we acess it HIS, If yes can you point me to the documentation for that.

Thanks

Thanks and Regards Jagdish
    Monday, December 20, 2010 9:23 PM

Answers

• Hi Jagdish,

An application running in the Win32 environment on Windows can access VSAM files on a mainframe by using the OLE DB Provider for VSAM, which is part of HIS.

You will find information about using the OLE DB Provider in the HIS documentation, here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa745848(BTS.10).aspx

Note that the OLE DB Provider for VSAM is mainly a programming facility - you need to modify the source code of the Windows application to make OLE DB calls and access the remote VSAM data. I'm not sure if apps running within the Micro Focus Server environment are able to make native Win32 or OLE DB calls; you'd need to look at the Micro Focus info to work that out.

It is not possible to read the host VSAM files directly - no matter what platform or tools you use. You always need to communicate with some task running on the host, which will read the VSAM file on your behalf. HIS OLE DB Provider for VSAM communicates with the z/OS Distributed File Manager, DFSMS/dfm. DFM is not always enabled by default (it's a bit of a memory hog); so you'd need to check if it is available on the host you want to access.

Alternatively, you can write a CICS program to run on the host, which will read and write the host VSAM file for you, then send the data to Windows using some form of inter-process communication. That's okay if you just need to read the file once in a while. If you have many concurrent read requests, or if you also need to do updates, you'd end up writing your own server application in CICS, which can become a very complex project.

Hope this helps,

Andrew

--

amclar at optusnet dot com dot au

Friday, December 24, 2010 8:21 AM