none
Enterprise Formulas Disappear After Performing File Save in Project Server 2010 in BCM RRS feed

• Question

• We are in a transitory state with our Project Server in 2010 in Backward Compatibility Mode (BCM) while we wait for users to get their 2010 clients.  We have been having users complain that formula-driven enterprise fields are not updating.  When I would look at the field, everything would be fine.  One user then determined that the formula would disappear only after performing a File==>Save while in the client.  If you close the file, then re-open the file, the formula magically re-appears.  We then determined that the problem is only effecting some enterprise field formulas. There is also no pattern to which formulas disappear and which remain.  For example, we have two enterprise fields to compute the variance with the original baseline date; one for the original baseline start and the other for the original baseline finish. One formula will disappear and the other will remain.  The formulas are almost identical and the configuration settings are identical.  The only thing consistent is that it seems to affect the same fields each time. 

We are already looking ahead to getting off BCM and we have yet to see the problem in our test server where BCM is turned off.  Also, the problem is only affecting clients that are using v2010 and our v2007 users have been spared.  Needless to say, these problems are spooking our user community and people are telling their IT people to delay the installation of their 2010 clients.  This puts us into a Catch-22 since we believe the problem will disappear once we turn-off BCM, but we can't get off BCM until all the users have their 2010 clients and now the users are resisting getting those clients.

Does anybody know some hidden configuration setting that will solve our problem? I am really growing weary of these bugs.

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 8:28 PM

All replies

• Hi Chris,

Have you thought about a corrupted local cache for v2010 users? This could corrupt custom fields.

You might try the following:

• Close and exit MS Project Professional 2010 application (if already open on your machine)
    • Click on Start menu -> Run
    • Type %appdata% and click on "OK"
    • Navigate to the Microsoft\MS Project\14\Cache folder
    • Delete all of the folders and files in this directory

Hope this helps.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 8:45 PM
  • Nope.  Didn't work.

I seem to spend most of my time these days debugging this tool than using it to do enterprise schedule analysis.  The quality of this version of the tool is a profound disappointment.

Thursday, December 19, 2013 1:04 PM
  • Chris --

In addition to the excellent answer given by Guillaume, have you patched your Project Server 2010 with the latest Service Packs and Cumulative Updates?  That might solve your problem.  Just a thought.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, December 19, 2013 3:16 PM
  • Our Server is on SP2.  All we know at this point is that the problem only affects our 2010 client users on our BCM Server, but not our non-BMC servers.  BCM is getting the blame for most things these days.  I am going to order a two drinks the day we turn-off BCM.
    Thursday, December 19, 2013 6:54 PM