Boot to flash drive to clean up / uninfect ntfs system drive RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to create a bootable USB flash drive (8GB Sandisk) to enable me to run cleanup utilities on an NTFS drive. By cleanup utilities I mean Malwarebytes, MSE, Stinger, chkdsk....etc. I have been in IT for 14 years, but never had the need until now.

Thanks,

Dave

Sunday, August 4, 2013 4:52 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi, rmprepusb.com and reboot.pro among others offer excellent tutorials for this task.  If you stumble over solutions mentioning grub or syslinux this might be already too powerful (= complex) for your purposes.  I don't think that you'll need MSE, because you might also need the current AV-signatures.  If you anyway download something from MS, you could as well download and use their offline scanner.  
    Sunday, August 4, 2013 9:44 PM
  • Hirens Boot CD has also worked very well for me.  It has a bootable version of Mini Windows XP and a Linux distro.
    Sunday, August 4, 2013 10:08 PM
  • Hirens Boot CD could do everything you'v just said, in addition you may add any of your favorite programs to it as it has the required tools to do that

Here is the link to the official website to download it:

www.hirensbootcd.org/download

I hope this helps.

• Edited by Mr6c0rpi0n Monday, August 5, 2013 1:43 AM
    Monday, August 5, 2013 1:42 AM
  • Hi,

Do you mean something like this?

Utility Spotlight: Scan for Malware Outside of Windows

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/jj649351.aspx

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Alex Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Monday, August 12, 2013 9:15 AM
    Monday, August 5, 2013 1:41 PM
  • Hi,

I am just writing to check the status of this thread. Was the information provided in previous reply helpful to you? Do you have any further questions or concerns? Please feel free to let us know.

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Alex Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

Saturday, August 10, 2013 6:50 AM