none
S.O.S Duration & Calendar problems RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys, need your help very urgently.

I am planning a job on an oil platform where different teams work different shifts.

Team A: Works 6am to 2pm, 7 days a week

Team B: Works 2pm to 11pm, 7 days a week

Supervisor: Works 8am to 5pm, 7 days a week

The client wants to see the duration in days.

I have created resource calendars for each team and for the supervisor as well. Also, I have created a project calendar which runs from 6am to 11pm, 7 days a week. In the options, I have changed the scheduling settings to Start:6am and End=11pm.

My durations are all messed up, the start times are all wrong. Even when I don't assign a resource to a task with a 1 day duration, it still ends on the second day.

What am I doing wrong.... please save me!!!!

Thursday, January 29, 2015 9:29 AM

Answers

• okay, I would do the following... Ultimately you have 3 different assignments on the task.

1. Project Calendar - 06:00 - 23:00

2. Hours per day = 17.

3. Start and finish times as you have articulated.

4. Resource calendars as you have articulated.

5. Enter a 1 day task (which will be 17 hours).  Ensure the task is fixed duration.

6. Press ALT-F10 to assign resources - assign all 3.

7. the result will look like the following...  (you may need to change your views to see what I'm seeing).

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | P2O

• Marked as answer by babarotee Thursday, January 29, 2015 1:58 PM
    Thursday, January 29, 2015 12:34 PM

All replies

• Hi Babarotee,

Can I ask a couple of questions - do the resources have 8 hours of work each per day, at the moment TeamA does 8 hours, and TeamB and the supervisor 9 hours.

By default, all activities will start at 06:00 now you have changed the scheduling options.  When you assign an activity to Team B, it will move.  

I did the following;

Set the display units for duration and work to hours.  I changed the date format to include the time.

When I assign a resource, then the start time is set to be correct.

Thursday, January 29, 2015 10:43 AM
  • You have not checked the starting time of your project.

Choose a date/time format which displays the time as well as the date (File, Options etc). Check Project Information. You will find that the start time for the project is still set at 08:00.

Thursday, January 29, 2015 11:00 AM
  • Hi Trevor, the start time of the project will apply only to the tasks that start on that date only; but sure, worth setting it to 06:00am

Thursday, January 29, 2015 11:10 AM
  • Hi Ben,

the problem is say for Task 1, it is starting on Monday and Team A will work from 6am to 2pm and then handover to Team B who will work till 11pm. Also, the supervisor will start at 8am and finish at 5pm. All of this is on the same Task 1. There lies the problem. The start time and End time are all wrong and is messing up the schedule. Also, when I look at the resource usage, the work (in hrs) is all wrong as well.

PLease tell me how you would tackle this. Would you create the calendars as I have done? How would you set the scheduling options? What task type etc

Thursday, January 29, 2015 11:40 AM
  • okay, I would do the following... Ultimately you have 3 different assignments on the task.

1. Project Calendar - 06:00 - 23:00

2. Hours per day = 17.

3. Start and finish times as you have articulated.

4. Resource calendars as you have articulated.

5. Enter a 1 day task (which will be 17 hours).  Ensure the task is fixed duration.

6. Press ALT-F10 to assign resources - assign all 3.

7. the result will look like the following...  (you may need to change your views to see what I'm seeing).

• Marked as answer by babarotee Thursday, January 29, 2015 1:58 PM
    Thursday, January 29, 2015 12:34 PM
  • Hi Ben,

You are a star! Worked a treat.

I am now giving my colleagues a proper lesson on Ms Project. Lol

Again, thanks so much.

Best regards

Thursday, January 29, 2015 1:58 PM